Daisy chain vs. dedicated connection

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
NevT

Daisy chain vs. dedicated connection

Post by NevT » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:24 am

Greetings,
Newbie here with a question.
I've got a bunch of pedals like most of you, but I'm wondering about how to power them correctly.
Depending on the situation, I use these pedals in one of two boards.
Board 1 set up is: Guitar>Tuner>Wah>Ibanez TS-9>Boss EQ>Delay>Digitech Drop into front of amp...this is powered off a single 9 volt daisy chain connection. Usually it's ok, but at some gigs I get unwanted noise. I'm guessing that the chain connection is causing it to make noise...depending on the club power.
Board 2 is using the Voodoo Power 2 and set up is: Tuner>Wah>Boss OD>Hush>Digitech Drop>Tremolo> into the front of amp, then the Boss EQ>Delay>Chorus go into the amp loop.
All of these are powered by the Power 2, but I don't have an available connector for the Tremolo.

Talking to a guy at a gig a while ago, he said some are ok with daisy chaining them together while some are not.
So...knowing this, which ones are ok to chain and which ones get dedicated power from the Power 2? And which connector from the Power 2 to what pedal?
Thanks in advance...Cheers.

Rez

Re: Daisy chain vs. dedicated connection

Post by Rez » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 pm

To power the Digitech Drop with Pedal Power 2 Plus, use output 5 or 6, DIP switch in the 9V (normal) setting with one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

The rest can power from any 9VDC output, each.

Daisy-chaining is indeed a common way to introduce noise into the signal but as to which pedals might "play nicely together", your best option is likely just test them out (it's difficult to simply predict). Or instead, you might consider using our Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV.

Our output splitter adapter is a 6 inch Y cable that connects with 1 Pedal Power DC output jack converting it into 2 output jacks (each at the same voltage as the output the splitter itself is connected to). This allows the connection of 2 cables to power 2 effects/pedals from this single DC output. And, one lead of output splitter adapter has its ground lifted to prevent the ground loop hum/buzz typically caused by daisy chaining.

Also, as output splitters create more outputs... you might need additional cables too. You can purchase additional power cables and adapters here:<a href="http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22">Power Cables and Adapters[/url]

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support