It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuzz pedals and dingbat px
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm 

This is a bit of a multi part question, so bear with me.

Recently picked up a px-8 plus and set it up. Signal chain is a little backwards as I would rather have 6 pedals in the amp's effect loop and 2 in front.
So - guitar>px insert return>loop 7(fuzz factory)>loop8(eqd vibe)>output>amp
Amp fx loop send>px input>loops 1-6>px insert send>amp fx loop return
From what I understand, the px-8+has an output buffer, but would this affect any of the loops? The way I'm set up right now, loop 7 is first stop for my guitar but the fuzz is definitely not behaving the way it normally would if it were first in the chain.. Everything else works beautifully.
I was also curious if the px-8+ will phantom power a control switcher and if patches on my synth could be recalled with the px-8 presets via midi.

TIA for any and all help

Post subject: Re: Fuzz pedals and dingbat px
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 pm 

The buffer is at the Output of PX-8 Plus so it is certainly after your Fuzz Factory, even in your setup.
I suppose the first test would be to check cables... particularly anything that would be in front of the Fuzz Factory. (So the cable from the guitar to the PX-8 Plus Insert Return and the Cable from Loop 7 Send to the Fuzz Factory In.) Maybe leave all else in place, but pull the Fuzz Factory out of Loop 7 and run the Out of the Fuzz Factory to the Insert Return then and connect your guitar directly to the Fuzz Factory input using each of these two cables as a test to find if one is going funky on you.

If still no luck, try running your guitar to the Fuzz Factory, Fuzz Factory to the EQD Vibe, EQD Vibe to the amp, but leave all the other effects in the Effects loop via the PX-8 Plus. This should tell us if the buffer is somehow making the Fuzz Factory unhappy.

Let us know what you find!

Also, the PX-8 Plus will not power a Control Switcher and the PX-8 Plus responds to MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm 

Is there a way my synth (Dave Smith Instruments mopho x4) will respond to midi changes on the px8+? ie make a synth patch part of an effect preset on the px-8+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 am 

FYI, you were right about the cable affecting the fuzz.. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 am 

Chrisdaponte1 wrote:
FYI, you were right about the cable affecting the fuzz.. Thank you!

Glad to hear it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 am 

Chrisdaponte1 wrote:
Is there a way my synth (Dave Smith Instruments mopho x4) will respond to midi changes on the px8+? ie make a synth patch part of an effect preset on the px-8+

Heh I somehow had it reversed... that you wanted to remotely recall PX-8 Plus presets :oops:

The presets on PX-8 Plus will send MIDI Program Change messages. These should recall the Programs in the currently selected Bank.

I hope that helps!