It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedal Power 2 Plus outputting almost 17V on L6 outputs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 am 

Just for good measure I decided to measure the outputs of my Pedal Power 2 Plus before hooking up everything.

I was looking into using it to power up my Neo Ventilator II which requires 12V and <300mA according to the manual, so I figured switching one of the ACA outputs would not provide enough amperage. The I tried flipping one of the L6 outputs to 12V and measuring the output and found that it outputted around 16.8V. That's like 40% more than spec. Is that normal and is it safe to run the Vent off an output like that?

Also, what exactly does "unregulated output" entail? I understand that the output is not guaranteed and may vary depending on how much load is used. But does it mean that the voltage will drop once there is load on the output or how does it work?

I'm also considering trying to run a DSI Tetra (yeah I know it's weird to put a synth on your pedalboard) off one of these outputs. But it's rated at 13.5V. Would that be safe to run off one of those outputs?

Post subject: Re: Pedal Power 2 Plus outputting almost 17V on L6 outputs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:51 am 

Ahh... you were measuring with no load on the output.

When switched away from Normal, these two outputs are unregulated. This means that the output voltage varies by the current draw. The load introduced by the device being powered will pull the voltage well below what you measure with no load.

However, a single output does not have enough current to properly power the Ventillator (original or II) or the Tetra so you actually would need to combine both outputs 5 and 6 with their corresponding DIP switches set away from Normal using a Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end).
Since you clearly cannot combine the two outputs and run both of these devices, one of them will still need to use its supplied power adapter that can be connected to the Courtesy Outlet on the back od the Pedal Power 2+.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm 

Thanks a lot. I suspected that was how it would work, but did not consider combining the two inputs like that.

Is there any risk of damaging a 12V pedal using these outputs? I mean if it's a pedal with a low current draw and the voltage then stays over 12V. I know having too high current is not a problem, but if the voltage is too high it can damage the pedal, so wouldn't that be a problem if the current draw will not pull the voltage down low enough?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 pm 

The Voltage does come down quite quickly with even a relatively small load, but yea, depending on the circuit it'could be possible.

It is worth noting that any 12V pedal with a current draw under about 100mA could be powered from any of Outputs 1-4 with the corresponding DIP Switch set away from Normal for "ACA" mode... which is regulated to 12V.