It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Original Pedal Power & MXR EP-103 power issue...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Hello all!

I recently started playing out again after a 22 year sabbatical. Decided to put together a proper Pedal Board which I was very happy with...until I decided to upgrade from my old FX90 Delay to a newer one, the new MXR EP-103 Echoplex Delay.

I'm having trouble with it not getting enough power from my Pedal Power, not a Pedal Power 2 or 2+, the original one. My searching has found answers for the 2 & 2+ but not the original. The Owners Manual is long gone and all I can find is a Pedal Power 2 Manual online...so...

I can get the EP-103 to operate using the supplied wallwart directly into the power strip so I know that's not the issue. The issue with the Wallwart is that with the Pedal Power in the Pedaltrain I can't plug it into the AC Auxiliary due it's orientation. And I wanted to stay away from using the Wallwart.

I have all the DIP Switches set to not "ON", so that must be OFF on the 2 & 2+, for 9v operation.

Will one of the 8 Outputs will supply the proper power?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Original Pedal Power & MXR EP-103 power issue...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 am 

Welcome back to the stringed thing!

The problem you are seeing is that the EP-103 has a current demand of almost 250mA, but the outputs on an original Pedal Power are each limited to about 80mA.

Is the problem with using the Courtesy Outlet that the MXR supply cannot reach thru the back of the pedalboard? If so you can use one of those Gray Grounding Plug Adapters to fill the space and it is perfectly safe to use here as the power supply has no ground pin anyway.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 am 

Thank you! It's been a blast being back onstage!

Okay, that makes sense. I was able to use a Grounding Plug Adapter but could only orient the MXR Wallwart so the cord is sticking up = not ideal.

If I were to upgrade to a newer Pedal Power which would you recommend based on the following Pedal compliment?

Guitar into; D'Addario Tuner --> MXR 6 Band EQ --> EP-Booster --> S.D. Pickup Booster --> Morley ABY that splits the signal to;

A = CompTortion --> Hiwatt SA112 Bulldog
B = MXR EP-101 Echoplex Preamp --> MXR EP-103 Echoplex Delay --> Marshall 18w 2x10" Combo

Those Pedals would use up all 8 Outputs available if one could power the EP-103.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am 

A Pedal Power 2+ will cover all your pedals, no problem! The EP-103 would connect to output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal.

...and, if it were to later be necessary for something else, the Courtesy Outlet on the current production Pedal Power 2+ is rotated 90° ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

Well...guess it might be time to start searching for a 2+.

Thank you for the quick and helpful replies.