It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCP/GCX/Kemper Power Rack - Pedal weirdness
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:33 am 

Hey all.

Second topic in as many days. First one was solved with consummate ease by the massive brains on this forum!!!

So, my rig.

Guitar/into the GCX/through 8 analog and 1 digital pedal/midi control to Kemper profiles/everything controlled by the Ground Control Pro.

My issue.

I've got the hang of programming presets so it engages the correct loops and changes rigs on the Kemper. Haven't got my H9 hooked up to midi yet to program changes there (fun to come there).
I was trying to set up expression and volume pedals this morning using the pedal 1 and 2 slots on the Ground Control. All the midi allocation seems to be correct. I'm getting changing values when I move the pedal and eventually I got it working. But for the longest time everything would be working find until I moved the expression or volume pedal, then the Kemper would freeze and the Ground Control wouldn't change the loops or Kemper rigs meaning I had to restart everything.

This happen quite a few times.

Is there anything at all I should be aware of or a specific order or a setting I need to address that would prevent this from happening?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Issues aside, I am loving the GCP/GCX combo with my Kemper. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a noticeable sound improvement (even with crappy cables - soon to be replace I hope).

Matt

Post subject: Re: GCP/GCX/Kemper Power Rack - Pedal weirdness
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am 

What is your MIDI cable routing? Is anything connected to the Ground Control Pro MIDI In?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
What is your MIDI cable routing? Is anything connected to the Ground Control Pro MIDI In?

Hey again John. Bet you love the torrent of noob questions :D
So nothing going into the GC midi in. Just the power/miidi into the GC out and into the GCX and the from the last it on the GCX into the in on the Kemper. There will eventually be an out from the Kemper to my H9 but not at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 pm 

Answering questions is what I'm here for, so ask away!

OK, so the MIDI connections seem just fine. Interesting that the GCX stops responding also. When this happens is there any activity on the GCX... for instance, does the Active LED flash when this happens? Does the Ground Control Pro still look like it is working or does it freeze too?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:20 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Answering questions is what I'm here for, so ask away!

OK, so the MIDI connections seem just fine. Interesting that the GCX stops responding also. When this happens is there any activity on the GCX... for instance, does the Active LED flash when this happens? Does the Ground Control Pro still look like it is working or does it freeze too?

It's just the GCX and the Kemper. The GCP still changes screen.
The GCX doesn't change loops and the Kemper freezes and becomes inoperable and has to be restarted. It appeared to happen when I was setting up the pedal functions on the GCP and operated one of the pedals without actually setting it up. I don't know the the Kemper or GCX was getting confuse by themidi isntructions.

While I'm on and as an aside. I saw a post from 09 where you said that there was no way to add user assigned CC message to pedals in 10 preset mode. Has this change? It would be exceptionally useful as a function so I could have 1-5 as presets (matching the 5 slots in a Kemper performance) and then 6-10 would be to operate stomps via CC messages.

Maybe a better solution would be to allow users to assign pedals as preset pedals or instant access so they could have as many of each as they needed. Don't know if that's functionality that's possible or if it would be a hardware change.

Anyway thanks on your help so far with everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 am 

This is probably way off, but in the Kemper is there a way of calibrating the pedal sweep... I know I had a similar issue with my rig. I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal that I use as an expression pedal that's plugged into the Ground Control, and I forgot to calibrate the sweep on the pedal..... It caused all manner of issues, until I remembered to calibrate it, then it was OK.

It definitely sounds like a midi message issue, and nothing that can't be cured........ You just need to find out what's conflicting with what.

Another thing to check. With my rig, I control the global volume via the TC G-Force from the expression pedal. When I set up my system, I let the TC assign the midi CC number in its "learn" mode. In other words, when I set up the expression pedal, the TC assigned controller number 7 to the expression pedal.... Guess what? During the learn function when I was setting up the other parameters it also assigned CC number 7 to the Chorus effect, so consequently when I used the expression pedal, it sent out messages on CC 7 to 2 different parameters... Again this caused issues with the TC display throwing a paddy, and the volume not working properly and also the other parameter not working properly due to conflicting CC numbers.

I eventually sussed the issue, and manually assigned the CC numbers for all the parameters so i didn't have this issue......... just something that sprang to mind, that might point you in a direction. Basically check that you don't have parameters sharing the same CC number on the Kemper.

Oh, and I still to this day don't know why the TC assigned the same CC number to 2 different parameters, must be a glitch.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm 

Odd that the GCX is not responding either... does it's Active LED flash when you press buttons after the freeze occurs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Odd that the GCX is not responding either... does it's Active LED flash when you press buttons after the freeze occurs?

John.

When it locks up nothing changes on the GCX, if I remember rightly (because it hasn't done it in a couple of days), the Ground Control LEDs change registering the switch of presets but it doesn't have any effect on the GCX or the Kemper... which think logically, suggests the issue may well be with the Ground Control/Midi cable/Midi connection end of things... hmmmm.

I meant to ask, are there firmware/softward upgrades for the Ground Control/GCX? I've no idea if this is a thing and if so which version is the latest? Also, how do I find out which version I have.

Just wondering if that's a possible issue?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 am 

Oh were these units purchased used? If so, did you do a factory restore on the Ground Control Pro so you were at a known starting point before programming?

On a Ground Control Pro, the three digit firmware revision number scrolls across the screen when it is first powered up.

On a GCX you would look for the Loop LEDs to scroll from Right to Left when first powered up.

Let us know what you have!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Oh were these units purchased used? If so, did you do a factory restore on the Ground Control Pro so you were at a known starting point before programming?

On a Ground Control Pro, the three digit firmware revision number scrolls across the screen when it is first powered up.

On a GCX you would look for the Loop LEDs to scroll from Right to Left when first powered up.

Let us know what you have!

John
The GCX was new the GCP was second hand (got to save cash where I can man). I actually didn't restore however nothing else seemed to be in there so I don't know if the previous owner had reset it.

In terms of versions if I recall it's 1.12... does that make sense or am I remembering incorrectly. I'll have to double check next week as I'm away for the weekend.