It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surge protector from PP2+ courtesy outlet to power laptop?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 am 

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions, any help would be much appreciated!

1) I brought over my UK PP2+ (240V) with me when I moved to the States, so I've been powering it with a step-up transformer into the mains so that I can still use it over here. I haven't had any problems doing this so far, but now I want to start using the courtesy outlet to power a few more things (totaling around 100W). I've read lots of threads here regarding using the US version in Europe with a step-down transformer, but couldn't seem to find any posts about using the UK version in the US. So if I want to use the courtesy outlet on mine over here, do I need to plug yet another transformer into the courtesy outlet (this time a step-down) in order to bring the voltage back down to US 110V? Wish I'd paid more attention in school now heh.

2) Finally, I was also wondering if it's safe/wise to run a surge protector strip from the courtesy outlet in order to power my laptop and audio interface, and a couple of extra pedals with wall-warts?

I read that the courtesy outlet has a 200W limit, so not to use it for "guitar amps or computers".. I take it this means desktop computers, so laptops should be fine? The specs for my laptop says that it outputs 45W, and my audio interface says "12VDC Centre Positive DC Adapter -> 1.5A",
so 12 x 1.5 = 24W? So I should be ok, right?

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Surge protector from PP2+ courtesy outlet to power lapto
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm 

Welcome to the forum... and to the States!

1. The Courtesy Outlet is wired directly from the Mains AC Input jack... so in your case it will be putting out 240VAC. So whatever you power from this jack will need to be able to accept 240VAC.

2. It is safe to run an outlet strip from the Courtesy Outlet (as long as it is intended for the Mains Voltage you are running the Pedal Power at ;) ) in order to power multiple other devices at once. And you are on the correct path in adding up the Wattage of all devices in order to be sure you are under the stated 200Watt maximum.
However, what you need to look at are the Input specs for each power supply rather than the Output spec.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Welcome to the forum... and to the States!

1. The Courtesy Outlet is wired directly from the Mains AC Input jack... so in your case it will be putting out 240VAC. So whatever you power from this jack will need to be able to accept 240VAC.

2. It is safe to run an outlet strip from the Courtesy Outlet (as long as it is intended for the Mains Voltage you are running the Pedal Power at ;) ) in order to power multiple other devices at once. And you are on the correct path in adding up the Wattage of all devices in order to be sure you are under the stated 200Watt maximum.
However, what you need to look at are the Input specs for each power supply rather than the Output spec.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply, John!

So I have checked the power supplies of the laptop and interface, extra pedal wall warts etc, and they all say 110-240V, which is great!

So I'm looking at this surge protector which works with voltages up to 250V:

https://www.110220volts.com/es-a55.html

and this IEC adapter to connect it to the courtesy outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015V1GXS/

Will I be good to go with these two items?
Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by candyflip on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 am 

That should do it!

Good Luck!