Best way to connect pedals using VoodooLab PedalPower-2 Plus

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
traveljunkiejon

Best way to connect pedals using VoodooLab PedalPower-2 Plus

Post by traveljunkiejon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 am

Hi, I have the following 8 pedals and I would appreciate your advice on how best to connect them to the Power Power plus.

1) Boss TU 3
2) Ibanez Tube Screamer
3) Boss Distortion
4) Fuzz face mini
5) MXP phaser 90
6) Deluxe memory man
7) Boss Digital Delay
8) Strymon Flint

Can I use a splitter to connect the Boss TU-3 and Ibanez Tube Screamer? What is the best way to power the Deluxe Memory Man?

Thanks,
Jon

JohnClark

Re: Best way to connect pedals using VoodooLab PedalPower-2

Post by JohnClark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 pm

The TU-3, Tube Screamer, Fuzzface Mini, Phase 90, and probably both the Boss Distortion and Delay can each be powered from any output with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal. Also, any of these pedals can be powered from the power output on the TU-3. Just to be certain, what are the model numbers for the two Boss pedals?

The Flint can be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal.

Do you have the 9V or 24V Deluxe Memory Man? If it is the 24V version then you will need a 2.5mm Voltage Doubling Cable to combine any two of outputs 1-4 with their corresponding DIP switches set away from Normal.

I hope that helps!

traveljunkiejon

Post by traveljunkiejon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi, the Boss pedals are DS1X and DD-7. The Memory man is 24V. So to be clear: I use two inputs from 1-4 with the cable for the memory man, then use a splitter cable from 3 to power the TU-3 and Tube Screamer (or one of the boss pedals)?

Flint goes into 5 or 6. The other pedals could go into any of the other inputs. So it would look something like

Inputs 1-2 - Memory Man with Cable
Input 3 - splitter cable powering TU-3 and Ibanez
Input 4 - Boss DS1X
Input 5 - Strymon Flint
Input 6 - Boss DD-7
Input 7 - Fuzz face mini
Input 8 - Phase 90

Thanks a lot for your help!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm

That will work fine! Just make sure the outputs you use for the 24V Deluxe Memory Man have their DIP Switches set away from Normal. All the other outputs will have the switches set to Normal.

You can certainly use the Output Splitter Adapter but you don't don't actually need it with the TU-3 because the TU-3 has a power output jack that basically accomplishes the same thing. You can use one of the included all black barrel cables to go from the power output on the TU-3 to the Tube Screamer power input.

Good Luck!

traveljunkiejon

Post by traveljunkiejon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Ok, many thanks! One last question: If I want to add one or two more pedals, can I use a splitter cable to power two Boss pedals with any of the inputs or do they have to be powered individually?

Thanks!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 pm

You can combine any combination of your pedals excluding the Deluxe Memory Man and Flint. If you have the DD-7 as one of the paired pedals you may want to use Output 5 or 6 (with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal) for the higher current capability.

Good Luck!

Jerico943

Post by Jerico943 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi everybody,

My name is Jordan and I'm writing from Peru.

I have a question about connecting my effects on the PP2+. The switch is in the normal position. From 1 to 8 the effects are connected in the following way.

1--> Stereo Pulsar (EHX)
2--> Blues Driver-2 (Boss)
3--> Carbon Copy (MXR)
4--> Nano Big Muff (EHX)
5--> Whammy V (Digitech)
6--> Cry Baby Wah wah (Dunlop)
7--> Noise Supressor NS-2 (Boss)
8--> Polytune 3 (TC Electronics)

Is it ok or should I use another configuration for the outputs? I don't want to ruin them. Also, I'd like to know if it's ok to use the courtesy output from the Polytune or the NS-2, or will it add hum? and which is the current they can provide?.

Thank You

Rez

Post by Rez » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm

As Whammy 5 requires more than 250mA, output 5 or 6 alone will not suffice. Instead, to power the Whammy 5 use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP in Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 4 and 5 (or 6 and 7), DIP switches set normal and one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

You can try powering an additional power from the NS-2 as you suggest, if this adds hum/buzz, using instead an Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV may give superior results.

And, as your Whammy 5 will be using two outputs... you may need to use two output splitter adapters.

Or, perhaps power the whammy 5 from the AC courtesy outlet with its adapter/wall-wart.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

Jerico943

Post by Jerico943 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 am

Hi Rez,

Thanks for the answer I was using it in the port 5 since in the manual says that it requieres less than 265 (<265mA) but I will take in count your advice and use the courtesy outlet for the whammy. The other pedals are ok, aren't they?
Thanks!
Jordan

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 am

If it's working from 5 alone... you could simply keep it that way. But, if it ever starts to act "funny", it may be due to being marginally under-powered (and maybe change it then).

And yes, other pedals are good-to-go.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support