It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NOISE, NOISE, NOISE...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 am 

bettsaj wrote:
Thomann do them, they are expensive, for what they are. I used plastic washers and electrical insulating tape :lol:

You can buy the HumFrees here

https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_hall_hum ... arch_prv_3

bettsaj
Thanks man, I think I found some on eBay and yes, the weren't cheap however in for a penny.

So up date! Noise has vanished. John called it, massive MASSIVE ground loop issue. Once I'd lifted the ground, no more problems. Haven't tested the fuzz pedals yet to see if they're better through the buffered input or not, that's tonights little task. I've tidied up the cable routing along the lines of what you suggested. It's still a bit of a state at the back as they're not custom cables, but it's better.

Measured up last night and it looks like I'm going to need about 50ft of cable and 54-56 plugs plus two custom midi cables with the Switchcraft moveable orientation heads....

Apart from the midi cables does 50ft about right (8 pedals/GCX/Kemper inc fxloop connections/10u Rack case)? I think its an over estimation to account for routing so not direct point a-b.

I've also got a lot of cable ties and those little cable tie anchors coming.

So I've got to decide if I'm going to do the proper cabling job and then live with what I've got until I get the cable in.

I think I'm going to go solderless. This is a big enough learning curve without having to learn how to solder as well.

Thanks again for all your advice.

I have another wee issue with how my Kemper is behaving but I'll start a fresh post for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:56 am 

Great stuff.... :D

I learned to solder building my rack..... It's all good character building stuff, as I now make my own effects pedals :)

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 am 

bettsaj wrote:
Great stuff.... :D

I learned to solder building my rack..... It's all good character building stuff, as I now make my own effects pedals :)

Nice man! Do you sell them? If so do you have a website?

So what do you think about my cable measurement? Does 50ft for wiring up my rig in a 10u case sound about right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 am 

Regarding my pedals.... They are all hand made, with hand etched PCB's. Normally clones of classic pedals. The last one I built was an exact clone of the 18v Colorsound Power Boost, I made 2 one for me and one for a customer. The PCB is a 121 copy of an original, and the pedal performs as per the original. I'm currently building 3 Big Muff clones, 2 Rams Head clones based on David Gilmours Big Muff, and a clone of a Black Russian Big Muff for someone at work. I've just finished a Fuzz Face clone which is as basic as they get.

The one's I make for others aren't branded Colorsound as that's trade marked.... This is my own personal pedal

I don't advertise, I work on a "word of mouth" basis so it's not my main income, that being said they are cheaper than shop bought pedals... Generally they sell for approximately double what the cost of components are. So for example, a fuzz face probably costs about £25 to source the components (I tend to use vintage NOS parts where ever possible so that does bump the price up a bit), so a complete fuzz face will be around 50, if you want a DC socket and LED that's another fiver. If you're on a budget any pedal can be made with brand new components and they will be considerably cheaper.

A 10u rack...... That's what I've got. If it's just for inside the rack 50 foot might be OK..... It's hard to say without seeing it. I did my rack in stages, I started out buying 30 foot of Van Damme audio cable, and started wiring the rack, I then bought another 25 foot as I'd run out..... I think all told I used between 80 to 100 foot, but I do have 2 15 foot audio cables going from the send/return of my wah on my pedal board.... So between 50 and 60 may well be ok just for the rack. It's always good to keep some spare in your gig bag anyway for emergencies.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:53 am 

I don't have anything outside the rack that isn't plugged into the Ground Control so it will all be rack based.
I'll start out planning for 50ft and take it from there (if I do that in Evidence it's going to be near enough £400 for enough cable and plugs).

Awesome on the pedals front man, that is a side line I dearly love to develop. I may well be in touch if that's OK, once I've had a think what I'm looking for (I'm toying with the idea of a boost it has to be said). If not then no probs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 am 

bettsaj wrote:
Regarding my pedals.... They are all hand made, with hand etched PCB's. Normally clones of classic pedals. The last one I built was an exact clone of the 18v Colorsound Power Boost, I made 2 one for me and one for a customer. The PCB is a 121 copy of an original, and the pedal performs as per the original. I'm currently building 3 Big Muff clones, 2 Rams Head clones based on David Gilmours Big Muff, and a clone of a Black Russian Big Muff for someone at work. I've just finished a Fuzz Face clone which is as basic as they get.

I don't advertise, I work on a "word of mouth" basis so it's not my main income, that being said they are cheaper than shop bought pedals... Generally they sell for approximately double what the cost of components are. So for example, a fuzz face probably costs about £25 to source the components (I tend to use vintage NOS parts where ever possible so that does bump the price up a bit), so a complete fuzz face will be around 50, if you want a DC socket and LED that's another fiver. If you're on a budget any pedal can be made with brand new components and they will be considerably cheaper.

So another thought.
Do you/have you/could you do analog delays and harmonic tremolos? Both things i've been shopping around for but, funnily enough, the ones I really like are MASSIVElY expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 am 

For a from the ground up" build delay is possible.... Tremolos maybe not so, I'd need to get a schematic.

The other option is a kit. There are a number of kits out there for Analogue delay and tremolo, that I could build for you it really depends on what you're looking for as regards delay time. normal bog standard analogue delays have quite a short maximum delay time.... Maybe in the 300ms to 500ms area.

What is your budget for a delay?

Take a look at this site and see if there's anything there that takes your fancy. I'd be more than happy to source one of these for you and build it for you for a small labour charge added to the cost of the kit.

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Kits/cat847125_752589.aspx

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am 

Well my budget was swinging wildly from Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail, via Moogerfooger MF delay, through Waza Craft and Jam Delay Llama (which has to be the best name for a pedal ever), to the holy grails of the DMM 1100T or the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall RKM version. But in all honesty I really don't need all the craziness the Chase Bliss pedal offers although it does sound sublime, so in all honesty £200 retail would be as high as I could go and I'd like to spend as little as possible.

I don't really use massively long delay times (and if I need that I can always use the digital delays on the Kemper), so I'm look more for good tone. However I have heard that long delay times give you cleaner and repeats at short settings and keep the dirt and modulation off until later which is an attractive prospect. So I'm probably be looking for as close to a 1000ms as possible

In terms of trems there really isn't one that sounds like what I'm after on the site and there doesn't appear to be any analog delays.
To be honest the trem is a nice to have so I could park that, I could really do with an analog delay. Get some of that proper BBD goodness happening.

The other thing I've been thinking about is a compressor. The holy grail being the Origin Effects Cali 76 Deluxe. Needs tweakabilty and absolutely needs a mix knob to blend compressed and dry signal.

Let me know what you think.