It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Increasing hum volume when running 6+ pedals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 am 

Hello, I tried to find something relating to my exact situation but couldn't really find anything. If this has been asked before I apologize.

I just got my hands on a Pedal Power 2 plus to try and remove some of the noise from my pedal board.
For the most part it's working fantastically and making a huge difference. I can run 5 pedals without any issues at all - no hum or excess noise. If I add a 6th pedal, you can hear the addition of a slight hum, really not bad enough to complain. But if I add a 7th or 8th pedal to my board it immediately spikes, producing an incredibly loud obnoxious hum.

I've tried to find out what's causing this and just can't seem to figure it out. Here's how it's currently set up (all dip switches set to normal):
Output 1: Mooer Pure Boost
Output 2: Korg Pitchblack tuner
Output 3: MXR Dyna Comp
Output 4: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Output 5: Ibanez TS7
Output 6: Ibanez TS808
Output 7: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

The NS-2 goes into an Ernie Ball volume pedal. And if it makes any difference this all goes into a Fender Deluxe reverb. Both the pedal board and amp are plugged into the same wall outlet.

With that exact setup intact and without removing the power from any pedal, I went through every pedal one at a time and ran my signal through them individually. There was absolutely no hum for any one. I then started from the start of the chain with the pure boost, and added one pedal at a time, checking my signal with each additional pedal. I had no issues up until having the whole setup minus the NS-2. As soon as I added that additional pedal the excruciating hum appeared.

I tried the same thing again, but going backwards this time, starting with the NS-2. Same scenario as before, adding one pedal at a time and checking the signal each time, I got to the before last pedal without any issues, and again adding the last pedal the hum returns.

I tried swapping power cables, different order of pedals, dip switch positioning. nothing I tried has made any difference. It all seems to stem from the 7th and 8th outputs, or it has something to do with the amount of pedals I'm running...I have no idea.

I don't know where else to turn! I don't understand the science behind electricity and currents at all so I apologize if I'm missing something really obvious.

Thank you very much for your time, and let me know if you need any more info.

Post subject: Re: Increasing hum volume when running 6+ pedals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:54 am 

The Tonal Recall requires more than 100mA and should be on output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal. Perhaps this is the main cause of the trouble?

Each of your other pedals should be powered from any output with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am 

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I tried what you suggested and plugged the tonal recall into output 6, but it didn't change anything unfortunately. The hum is just as present and loud as always.

I noticed that if I touch the metal footswitch on some of the pedals it cuts a big portion of the hum out while I keep my finger on it. Not sure what that suggests.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am 

Oh wait a minute here...

The NS-2 needs more current also, sorry I missed that!

The NS-2 should also be on output 5 or 6 with the DIP switch set to Normal.

If that still doesn't fix things, carefully check all your cables for a potentially failing shield connection. Do you get the same behavior when touching or not touching the guitar strings or the bridge on the guitar?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 am 

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

I have figured out the issue, and you had the right idea with your last post regarding the cables.
I use a D'Addario patch cable kit that I cut to length myself. It turns out that on one cable, I did not screw the fastening screw tight enough. It seems the screw need to touch the wire in order to act as a ground, and this is what was causing the loud hum.

All it took was literally two turns of a screwdriver!

I've been using the pedal power on my board for the past two days and it's working flawlessly and doing a great fantastic job of reducing the noise fromy board.

Thanks again!