System Mix Plus set up

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
bettsaj

System Mix Plus set up

Post by bettsaj » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi John, I've set up the SM+, and I've encountered a problem.

I've wired the SM+ as per the hook up instructions on page 13 of the manual. So the wiring is as follows:

Guitar > Triaxis input - Triaxis output > SM+ volume in left - SM+ volume out > SM+ Mix 1 in 1
SM+ passive split > GCX loop in
GCX loop send (stereo cable) > GForce LR Inputs
GForce LR outputs > SM+ LR Mix 2 in 2
Mix 2 out LR > power amp LR inputs

As per the attached image

i'm hooking this up with just head phones at the moment so no speakers, and although i'm getting sound it's so quiet it can hardly be heard. Could it be the VCA is set low? I haven't got that set up yet, and expected to hear at least some preamp noise which i do.... But no actual guitar, I do get preamp noise like hiss when I change patches on the Triaxis but no actual guitar sound. Everything is connected together for midi except the SM+, as I wanted to get it up and running first before connecting it for midi and sorting the VCA.

While I'm talking about midi, does it matter what the order is of the SM+ and the GCX when i connect them together for midi. Currently the GCX is first in the midi chain, then the Triaxis, then the G-Force? I was just going to connect a cable from the midi thru of the G-Force into the midi in of the SM+.
Attachments
wiring schematic.jpg
wiring schematic.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

bettsaj

Re: System Mix Plus set up

Post by bettsaj » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Pulled all the wiring, and rewired it...... It's working now, must have been a wiring issue.

However, I only have the left hand channel of the G-Force coming through. Any ideas?
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Sorted!....... Just needed the "in line Y cable" between the passive split and the loop input

David Gilmour

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Looks like I missed the show! :oops:

Glad you got it sorted!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:36 am

Got it all set up and running as you know, however there is a horrid buzzing noise which sounds like a grounding issue. It becomes louder when I engage the louder gain patches on the Triaxis. Everything was fine before I introduced the SM+.

I have up until now been testing the rig via headphones in my lounge, as I didn't want to go through speakers due to the volume issue. There was a slight buzzing noise through headphones which at the time I disregarded, but once I plugged it all in through speakers at rehearsal Sunday night it was very apparent there is an issue. I'm not 100% happy with the Triaxis as well to be honest, I'm finding it over complicated to set up and get a half decent tone from it that will cut through a band mix.... It all sounds very middly.... Maybe it's just me and I've not set it up correctly.

But back to the SM+, any ideas john..... I have until the 29th December to sort this issue, as i have a gig booked that I have to play. I'll remove all the wiring and test the cables, hopefully it's just a dodgy cable. I'll also try taking the SM+ out of the equation and rewire everything back in series just to confirm it's not an issue with the Triaxis.

And just for your curiosity, here's a fetching photo of the top half of the rack (The power amp in in a second case that sites under this one)

20181130_191349.jpg

David Gilmour

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:49 am

Any luck with the buzzing?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:31 am

Hi bettsaj,

What valves do you have in the Triaxis? Tube Town has a map of the tubes to use.

https://www.tube-town.net/info/doc/tt-tubemap-mesa.pdf

What do you have the master volume at for the Triaxis, I usually have it at 3-4?

Where do you have your noise suppressor? Do you have one?

Cheers
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.