Controlling boost buttons in Effect pedal

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Pauldf

Controlling boost buttons in Effect pedal

Post by Pauldf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 am

How’s things guys

Quick question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a GCP connected to a GCX to Control all my individual effect pedals. The thing is I am after getting a Bogner Ecstasy Blue pedal. I can set up the GCP and GCX to turn on and off the loop which engages the pedal etc. But is there any way to use another button on the GCP to Control the boost button on the Ecstasy Blue. Something like button 1 on the GCP turns on the Ecstasy Blue while Button 2 on the GCP controls the boost side of things on the Ecstasy Blue. There is one jack out on the back of the Ecstasy Blue to Control the pedal but is it even possible to get the GCP and GCX to do what I’m thinking.

Thanks for any help you can give

JohnClark

Re: Controlling boost buttons in Effect pedal

Post by JohnClark » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 am

A free GCX Loop can control the Boost function on the Ecstacy (Red or Blue) and the Uberschall pedals. In fact the Remote jack is TRS jack and you can control the Bypass and Boost if you wish.

The Boost is controlled by the Tip of the TRS jack which is useful in your case since you can use a standard Mono cable to control just the Boost. a cable from the Out jack of a GCX Loop to the Remote Jack on the pedal should do the trick. These pedals require a Momentary switch to control the Remote functions so you will need to set the GCX Loop that you will use as Boost to Momentary.
Unfortunately, because it is an on/off type function controlled via a Momentary switch it is possible to start up the rig with them out of sync, where the GCX Loop LED is OFF but the Boost is On. I just messed around with an Uberschall pedal here and it seems that if I start up the GCX first, then power the pedal, it always stays in sync where the GCX Loop LED is OFF and the Boost is OFF.

I hope that helps!

Pauldf

Re: Controlling boost buttons in Effect pedal

Post by Pauldf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:00 am

John thanks a million for taking the time to post back, you are an absolute legend. I’m gonna give what you said a try and hopefully I can set it up right.

Thanks again, all the best,

Paul