Boss ES-5 as MIDI controller for PX8?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Idiotbox88

Re: Boss ES-5 as MIDI controller for PX8?

Post by Idiotbox88 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello

So I managed to work out how to use the PX8 to send MIDI commands to my Source Audio pedals. It's great, I can active presets on the pedal at the same time as I switch a preset on the PX8.
I can't get my TC Vintage Delay to respond to any MIDI commands tho. It's identical to the T-Rex Replica, if you are familiar with that pedal.

I sold the ES-5. It was too complicated and only 5 loops. Seems like more of a Bassist's looper as they tend to use fewer pedals.

How do I get more than 3 presets on the PX8? 3 is cool but I'd like to have 8-10.

Thanking you in advance,

Matt.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am

I couldn't easily find a manual for the Vintage Delay, but the Replica only responds to MIDI Control Change messages and your PX-8 is sending MIDI Program Change messages.

The PX-8 has just the three presets when in Preset Mode. An external MIDI Controller would allow you to have more presets if you wanted. For instance our Commander will give you 10 presets.

On the other hand, the newer PX-8 Plus has multiple banks of four presets each for a total of 36 presets when in preset mode with no external controller needed.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am

Hi

I'm still trying to make the PX-8 work for me. I mentioned I sold the Boss ES-5, and I could not find any Commanders for sale in Australia that were affordable, and the PX-8 Plus is very expensive here, so I got a Disaster Area DMC-3XL Gen3, which was very reasonably priced, to try to unlock more than 3 presets in the PX-8 and use my MIDI pedals. Do you know anything about how to configure that to work with my switcher? I can use the DMC on its own, but not sure how to make it work with the switcher. Sorry if I am being repetitive, it's just I'm not very good with this tech. I'm pretty much stuck with what I have, as the DMC is the last bit of gear I'll buy as I simply cannot afford anything else.

Thanks in advance.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:56 am

OK so with a new controller you will still be setting the PX-8 the same way as before... Enable MIDI Program Change on MIDI Channel 1, and likely leave the Button Mode as the default Instant Access where each numbered button on PX-8 directly controls the same numbered Loop.

Since you have been thru a few setup changes here I think it best to start off by resetting the PX-8 to its original factory defaults.

PX-8 Reset
1. With the PX-8 powered down, press-and-hold the large numbered Buttons 2 and 3 then power up the PX-8.
2. The LEDs will all continually flash to show you are in a Program Mode, release Buttons 2 and 3.
3. The PX-8 will now do a button test starting with Button 1. Press each button after its LED lights up.
4. After pressing Button 8, wait for all the LEDs to flash three times then power down the PX-8.

Enabling Program Change
1. Press-and-hold the large numbered Button 1 then power up the PX-8.
2. The LEDs will all continually flash to show you are in a Program Mode, release Button 1.
3. Press the large numbered Button 1 to light up LED 1 (this should now be the only LED that is ON).
4. Power Down the PX-8 to exit the Program Mode and save the changes.

At his point you are done with any Setup Programming on the PX-8 and can now start creating presets to go with Program Changes 0-127 sent on MIDI Channel 1. (The PX-8 defaults to receiving on MIDI Channel 1 so there should be no need to change this unless you have some reason to need the PX-8 to respond on another MIDI Channel.)

Creating Presets
1. Send a Program Change on MIDI Channel 1 to the PX-8 from your MIDI Controller.
2. Enable any combination of PX-8 Loops by pressing any of the large numbered PX-8 Buttons for the Loops you want active for this preset.
3. Press Buttons 1 and 8 at he same time to save. The LEDs should Alternate Flash to confirm the save.
4. Repeat for each preset on you MIDI Controller.

So I suppose the only thing left somewhat unknown here is exactly how to send a Program Change on MIDI Channel 1 from your new controller. Looking at the manual for the 3XL Gen3 I see that it might need some setup to work like we expect it to. However you may want to just try it out in Preset Mode to see if its default setup does the trick. If it does not work out of the box, then it looks to me that you will want to set the Device as GMID for the PX-8.

I hope this helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------