Boss ES-5 as MIDI controller for PX8?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
JohnClark

Re: Boss ES-5 as MIDI controller for PX8?

Post by JohnClark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 pm

If the PX-8 is set so each button controls a single loop, you will be able to turn individual pedals connected to the PX-8 on and off at any time. If you set the PX-8 to respond to Program Change messages you will be able to store any combination of these eight loops to come up whenever you recall a new preset on your ES-5.

Now on to the ES-5... With each preset it will send MIDI Program Change and at least two MIDI Control Change messages. Look to page 10 of the ES-5 User Manual under "Creating a Patch" for all the settings you can add to a single preset on the ES-5. Also, page 18 has a specific example of sending a Program Change to a MIDI device titled "Switching a MIDI-Equipped Effect Unit’s Memory When a Patch Is Changed".

Do you have the ES-5 yet? If so, have you yet tried getting it to control your PX-8 using the suggestions above?

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:13 am

I've had the ES5 for some time. Been using it as a basic switcher. Will try your suggestions thanks!!!

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:44 am

It's not working. Nothing happens on the PX8

Also, if there is no way to get it to send CC massages it will be of limited use, and I will probably have to sell it.

Sorry. Thanks for your help.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with this.

According to the ES-8 manual, it will definitely send both Program Change and Control Change. I've never had one in front of me so I guess I can't be of much help getting it programed to do what you are asking. You may want to try Boss support and ask them how to get it to send a single Program Change and how to set the MIDI Channel as well as whatever set of Control Changes you need for your specific pedals.

I hope that helps!

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Ok. Yes it helps. The Boss sends pc and cc but I'm not sure if I can configure the PX8 to receive and send cc. Pc is no problem, that's easy enough. I can use a MIDI mouse or the Boss. But I can't seem to get cc to work with the PX8

Thanks.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Idiotbox88 wrote:Ok. Yes it helps. The Boss sends pc and cc but I'm not sure if I can configure the PX8 to receive and send cc. Pc is no problem, that's easy enough. I can use a MIDI mouse or the Boss. But I can't seem to get cc to work with the PX8

Thanks.
The Control Change messages you want to send from your ES-8 will pass right on thru the PX-8 and on to your pedals. Is that not what you actually want to do?

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Ok yes. I'll keep working on it. Maybe a cable problem idk.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm

I just tested a unit to be double sure... and it works as expected.

1. It acts on the Program Change it is assigned to read.
2. It passes the Control Changes intended for downstream gear.

Do you know what specific Program Change numbers as well as exactly what Control Change numbers and data values you have the ES-8 sending including what MIDI Channels you are using?

If the problem is that your pedals aren't responding to Control Changes from the ES-8... What happens if you connect your ES-8 directly to one of your pedals, do they respond correctly?

Idiotbox88

Post by Idiotbox88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:37 pm

*ES-5

CC20
CC21

Yes it works. Maybe I set up the PX8 wrong?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:25 am

Heh... I see I switched to "ES-8" a few posts back... :oops:

So from your ES-5 you are sending a Program Change and some data on CC 20 and 21, but what MIDI Channel(s) are these messages being sent on?

Also, just to confirm, connecting the ES-5 directly to the pedals and sending data on CC 20 and 21 works, but adding the PX-8 in between makes the pedals stop responding?

What pedal(s) are you using that are taking CC 20 and 21?