It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Amp Gizmo+GCX+Ground Control Pro-HELP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am 

I recently purchased voodoo lab GCX and Ground Control Pro. I have a Marshall TSL 100 with 3 channels so I bought Mini Amp Gizmo to control my amps channels.

I have stomp boxes plugged into channels 5-8 on my GCX. I planned on having channels 1-4 for control of my Amp with amp gizmo.

I just don’t have a full understanding of how to program my mini amp gizmo to my ground control. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Dan

Post subject: Re: Mini Amp Gizmo+GCX+Ground Control Pro-HELP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 pm 

I have a similar setup except with a Mesa Boogie Mark V. I use a MIDI cable from my GCX to the Mini Amp Gizmo. Then I use the RJM cable for my specific amp to go from the Mini Amp Gizmo to the amp. I don't use any of the loops, and you shouldn't have to either.

Choose any preset like 01. Then on the M-A-G, click the buttons that set the amp settings as you want. On mine, I can choose EQ, Reverb, Mute and the 3 channels. So, you would pick say button 2 for channel 2. It should light up red, and your amp should switch. If it's the way you want it, just press and hold the "Write" button in until all the lights flash. That's it.

You can do this on any preset. You don't have to do anything in the Ground control for this to work. Each preset will "notify" the MAG as to what button you pressed. To add loops, just follow the steps.

Let me know if you need more help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the reponse... I tried it again and it seems as if it’s not picking up the midi connection. The M.A.G won’t let me write channel 1 for clean, two for crunch, etc...

I have the GCX midi out to the M.A.G midi in and the special amp cable plugged in. The channel switching works when I’m pressing the buttons on the gizmo it just won’t let me operate it via midi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm 

The steps described above assume you will be using Ground Control Pro presets to control the Mini Amp Gizmo. Are you using the bottom row Preset buttons on your Ground Control Pro or the top row Instant Access buttons?

If you are using only the Preset buttons you will need to have the Mini Amp Gizmo set up to respond to MIDI Program Change messages. You would then want to name it as a MIDI Device in the Ground Control and make sure to assign the matching MIDI Channel number, then check that each preset is sending the Program Change number you would like to use. (I like to use Program Change 1, 2, and 3 for Amp Channels 1, 2, and 3 on an amp that only switches the channels via MIDI)

If you want to use the Instant Access buttons (or both Presets and Instant access buttons) then you will need to have the Mini Amp Gizmo set up to respond in it's "GCX Compatability Mode" as if it were GCX #2. You will also need to enable GCX #2 in the Ground Control Pro as well as re-assign the appropriate Instant access buttons to act as GCX #2 Loop buttons.

Let us know if you get stuck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm 

Thank you for your help. I tried for a while last night and I didn’t have any luck. I didn’t want to post anymore questions until I re-read the manuals many times and watched some YouTube videos… with that said I’m still very unfamiliar with midi but I’m doing the best I can to educate myself in hopes of simplifying my rig.

My last attempt I didn't have any luck.
Marshall TSL 100 (JCM 2000 TRIPLE LEAD) has 5 Buttons CLEAN,CRUNCH,LEAD,REVERB, FX
My M.A.G operates when button 1 is on its CLEAN, button 2 is CRUNCH, and with no buttons its LEAD.

I cannot get the GCX/GCP to operate the M.A.G

MINI AMP GIZMO (M.A.G)

I set the M.A.G to respond to midi channel 1.

I programed the GCX compatibility mode with the M.A.G

Continuous Controller Rangers says 88…95 (default) for GCX#2? I should program my M.A.G for the CC RANGE?

GROUND CONTROL PRO

I Enabled GCX 2 for operation for the M.A.G

Program Device Number, Device Name, Device Channel.
What’s would be the start number for the M.A.G? or is it the actual number on the device (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

I’m using Instant Access 4 preset option. The factory setting for buttons 1-8 to control loops 1-8 in GCX#1
I see that I can change the GCX number… Will the ground control automatically know when it’s GCX#1 or 2 when using it or do I have to change to GCX#2 operations?

Do I use the LOOP option or do I use the MIDI CONTINUOUS Controller On/Off with the continuous controller rangers that were mentioned above with the M.A.G. along with the NORMAL option?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm 

On the Mini Amp Gizmo, you only need to turn on the GCX Compatibility Mode and set it to GCX #2... so you will setting Switch #7 to ON and make sure Switch #5 is ON and Switch #6 is OFF. That is it for the MIDI settings on the Mini Amp Gizmo.

On the Ground Control Pro you will need to enable GCX #2 in the Setup Mode under Expanders. You do NOT need to set a "Starts At" number. (That is for the named MIDI devices like effects processors.)
1. Press both Setup Buttons at the same time to enter Setup Mode.
2. Press the EXPANDERS Button.
3. Use the Data +/- Buttons to turn GCX-1 ON.
4. Press the Select Down button once.
5. Use the Data +/- Buttons to turn GCX-2 ON.
6. Press either Setup Mode button to exit Setup Mode.

When setting the Instant access buttons, you will set them to GCX #2 and use the Loop numbers. This is done in Setup Mode under Instant Access. I assume your Mini Amp Gizmo is using switches 1, 2, 3, and 4 to control your amp... if so, then you will set Instant Access buttons 1 - 4 to control GCX #2 Loops 1- 4.
1. Press both Setup Buttons at the same time to enter Setup Mode.
2. Press the button labeled INSTANT ACCESS.
3. The screen will read "1. GCX-1 LOOP 1". Press the Data + Button to change it to "1. GCX-2 LOOP 1.
4. Press the Select Down Button.
5. The screen will read "2. GCX-1 LOOP 2". Press the Data + Button to change it to "2. GCX-2 LOOP 2.
6. Press the Select Down Button.
7. The screen will read "3. GCX-1 LOOP 3". Press the Data + Button to change it to "3. GCX-2 LOOP 3.
8. Press the Select Down Button.
9. The screen will read "4. GCX-1 LOOP 4". Press the Data + Button to change it to "4. GCX-2 LOOP 4.
10. Press either Setup Mode button to exit Setup Mode.

At this point, the Instant Access buttons should start controlling your Mini Amp Gizmo.

Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am 

John,

Thank you so much for all your help. It turns out I had a bad midi cable... It would send a signal and then lose signal etc...

My M.A.G started to work once I had the new cables plugged in.

I ended up setting up my Ground Control a little different than described just because it seemed to work a little better for my application. Just in case anyone is curious...

1. CH 01 CTL 88 Momentary (Clean)
2. CH 01 CTL 89 Momentary (Crunch)
3. Ch 01 CTL 90 Momentary (Lead)
5. CH 01 CTL 91 NORMAL (REVERB)
6. CH 01 CTL 92 NORMAL (FX)

I use my 4 presets for my song settings... I set the device name to AMPGIZMO and then named them AMPGIZMO 1 AMGIZMO 2 so on... This will allow you to save any channel you'd like to the preset and not mimic a previous preset.