Using Rocktron guitar silencer pedal with GCX and fx pedals

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Ryanlunatic

Using Rocktron guitar silencer pedal with GCX and fx pedals

Post by Ryanlunatic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I’m needing some help with placing the guitar silencer in my chain. I’m using a tube screamer to boost the dirty channels of my Peavey 3120 head in loop 1. I ran signal out of that loop, through the gate, and into loop 2. Loops 2-6 are Mxr flanger, mxr Phaser, EHX Neo Clone chorus, Boss Acoustic simulator, and TC Electronic Prophet delay. When I first hooked up the gate, it was last in the chain. Everything was dead quiet but it choked my delay. Placing it after the tube screamer I have no feedback but hiss from the other pedals especially the delay. I’m replacing the power supply (it was a cheap one sorry) with a pedal power 2 today. But still want to place the guitar silencer in the correct spot and hopefully not get noise from the delay. The noise only happens on my dirty and lead sounds. Clean is quiet.

JohnClark

Re: Using Rocktron guitar silencer pedal with GCX and fx ped

Post by JohnClark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

I would start by running the Guitar Silencer between Loops 5 and 6 rather than Loops 1 and 2 so it will be routed just before the Delay.

1. Loop 5 Out to the Guitar Silencer Input.
2. Guitar Silencer Output to Loop 6 In.

As far as noise from the Delay itself... that is a tough one. As you found, a noise gate will chop delay repeats so that is obviously no good. Does the pedal produce the same noise when powered from a 9V Battery?

If powering from a Pedal Power 2 or 2+, The Prophet can be powered from any output with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal.

I hope that helps!

Ryanlunatic

Post by Ryanlunatic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

I moved the guitar silencer between loops 5 and 6 last night and that did help quiet everything before the delay. But since I use a ton of gain and boost it the delay seems to add noise. I ordered a Decimator G string to see if that helps with the hiss. I forgot to mention there’s a BBE sonic stomp in there too. It seems to boost the noise as well. When I turn off the BBE and delay it’s dead quiet. The BBE isn’t in a loop it’s last in the chain going to the front end of the amp.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm

The G-String is cool in that it knows when you are actually playing, but it will still chop out your repeats if placed after the delay so it doesn't really solve the issue. Also, the real issue seems to not be the delay itself, but the BBE...

I'd first start by moving the BBE so it is routed ahead of the noise gate. No need to have your delay repeats "Sonically Maximized" too ;)

Ryanlunatic

Post by Ryanlunatic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 pm

I’ll try that thanks!