It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVH 5150III 50w and GCP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 pm 

Hi,

I am trying to sync my EVH 5150III 50 watt AMP "Midi in" to the GCP-is this possible? The EVH manual states it will learn the controlling device, however, does not offer midi #'s,etc...no luck...perhaps GCP is not midi enough? The manual does mention the AMP is channel and FX midi compatible.

Any information would be helpful-newbie to midi.

Post subject: Re: EVH 5150III 50w and GCP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 am 

Okay, this should get you up and running:

On the Ground Control Pro:
a. Connect a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out connector on the GCPro to the MIDI In connector on the EVH.
b. Follow the instructions on Page 6 of your GCPro User's Manual to Enter Set Up Mode.
c. Follow the instructions on Page 10 of your GCPro User's Manual to select 4PRST/BANK mode.
d. Exit Set Up Mode.

Before doing anything else, try this simple test.
a. Power up the GCPro and the EVH.
b. Depress the left most button in the bottom row of your GCPro - the one with the large Number 1 on a gray background right next to it - and see if the EVH changes to Channel 1.
c. Depress the next button in the bottom row of your GCPro - the one with the large Number 2 on a gray background right next to it - and see if the EVH changes to Channel 2.
d. Depress the next button in the bottom row of your GCPro - the one with the large Number 3 on a gray background right next to it - and see if the EVH changes to Channel 3.

If the EVH changes to the appropriate channel during this test everything is good to go with regard to changing channels, so you can go to the "To use MIDI for effects loop bypass" section to program an Instant Access button to turn the EVH effects loop on and off. The values you need are on Page 7 of the EVH Manual, and the instructions for programming Continuous Controller info to an Instant Access button are on Page 11 of the GCPro Manual. If the EVH does not change channels, follow these steps:

On the EVH 5150 III:
a. Refer to the "To set up and use MIDI for channel selection" instructions on Page 6 of the EVH Manual.
b. Follow Step 1 to put the amp in "Learning Mode."
c. Follow Step 2 by pressing the left most button in the bottom row of your GCPro, the one with the large Number 1 on a gray background right next to it.
d. Follow Step 3 by selecting select Channel 1 on the EVH.
e. Follow Step 4 by repeating Steps 2 and 3 two more times, assigning Buttons 2 and 3 on the GCPro to Channels 2 and 3 on the EVH.
f. Follow Step 5 to exit "Learning Mode" and test once more to make sure the channels are changing as programmed.

If you've not already done so, go to the "To use MIDI for effects loop bypass" section to program two Instant Access buttons on the GCPro to turn the EVH effects loop on and off. Again, the values you need are on Page 7 of the EVH Manual, and the instructions for programming Continuous Controller info to an Instant Access button are on Page 11 of the GCPro Manual.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 am 

Additional note, I am using a standard 5-pin MIDI cable is that the correct cable? I did see some mention of a 7 pin, but was not sure. Please advise.

Thank you for the detailed reply...I will try this later tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:52 pm 

Good info, but i'm still missing something...if you can reply on more GCP channel/cc # settings, etc I should be able to piece the puzzle-detail is good

Much appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

Okay, got it. The EVH channel CC# and MIDI cord placement was not what I expected and in my case this worked:

Standard midi 5 pin cord
Midi OUT from GCP to GCX midi IN and MIDI out of GCX to EVH midi In

GCP channels 1-4 (bottom row)
Clean - CC#3
Crunch - CC#1
High Gain - CC#2

Along with the past reply and system manuals it works.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:00 am 

raiello wrote:
Okay, got it. The EVH channel CC# and MIDI cord placement was not what I expected and in my case this worked:

Standard midi 5 pin cord
Midi OUT from GCP to GCX midi IN and MIDI out of GCX to EVH midi In

Well, not for nothing, but I could - and would - have told you that if I had known there was a GCX in your MIDI signal chain, but you never mentioned that until now. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 am 

No problem, it was more with the GCP/EVH cc#

Thanks, good to go....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 am 

Is it possible to use the GCP in 10 preset mode with the 5150 III 50 watt?

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 am 

stacker wrote:
Is it possible to use the GCP in 10 preset mode with the 5150 III 50 watt?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

OK,great!

I am building a second rig with a 5150 III 50 watt. I currently run my GCP in 10 preset mode, and wanted to keep it that way. Now, I can just bank up and make 10 presets for my 5150 rig. Once I pick up a second GCX, I will research this more.

Thanks!