It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to MIDI as a Programmer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 am 

I was wondering if someone could post their GCP syx file so that I could learn a bit more about MIDI. Unfortunately, I can't acquire a GCP and GCX until january-ish, but have a couple of great ideas for people with very little space for equipment. Forgive me for my ignorance if a .syx file is not the correct file type for GCP configurations.

EDIT:

So I found the gcpeditor website and downloaded a blank .syx file, but its not very helpful. I wish there were better materials and resources that outline how to build a MIDI message in a programming language. I will look elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: New to MIDI as a Programmer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am 

The .syx file you grabbed is a MIDI System Exclusive message and is really only useful to save or restore the user programming of a Ground Control Pro. It wouldn't ever be used to control another piece of MIDI gear.

Without really knowing what you are ultimately trying to accomplish (so forgive me if this seems to remedial ;) ) I'd first point you to MIDI.org for a look at the uses of MIDI and to view the MIDI Specs that define all MIDI message types.

I hope that helps!