It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MIDI setup with Ground Control Pro, CGX, MAG and Eventide
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am 

Hi,

I figured out how to connect everything and got the GCX working perfectly but I’m a little lost regarding the MIDI setup.

My MIDI setup:
MIDI Channel 1: Mini Amp Gizmo controlling Mark V amp
MIDI Channel 2: Eventide Mod Factor
MIDI Channel 3: Eventide Time Factor

My MIDI cables goes. GCX OUT to Eventide Mod IN, Eventide Mod Out to Eventide Time Fact IN.

Based on this can someone please tell me step by step how I should program the Ground Controller Pro to work with MIDI commands. I have read the manual but I’m at a lost how to configure this.

My Ground Control will be controlled like this.

Bank 1-1: Clean on Mark V using the mini amp Gizmo
Bank 1-2: Crunch on Mark V using the mini amp Gizmo
Bank 1-3: Lead on Mark V using the mini amp Gizmo
Bank 1-4: Solo and Lead on Mark V using the mini amp Gizmo
Button 6: Reverb on Mark V using the mini amp Gizmo, CC94
Button 7: Eventide Mod Factor, Channel 2
Button 8: Eventide Time Factor, Channel 3

I’m not sure how to program this but I know it can be done.

The other thing is I want the 2 Eventide pedals to be able to use various presents.

I read the manual several times and looked at various youtube vids but I’m still can't get MIDI to work.

Post subject: Re: MIDI setup with Ground Control Pro, CGX, MAG and Eventi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 pm 

We can try to get you up and running here, but could you tell us if anything is responding to the Ground Control Pro at this point?

First up is your MIDI Routing, it doesn't appear to be quite complete...
Here is what I would suggest to start off with. Let us know if that doesn't work for you for some reason.
1. Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to GCX Pedal In (this will allow the GCX to Phantom Power the Ground Control Pro)
2. GCX MIDI Out to Mod Factor.
3. Mod Factor MIDI Out/Thru to Time Factor MIDI In.
4. Time Factor MIDI Out/Thru to Mini Amp Gizmo MIDI In.

You will need to go to both Eventide pedals and set the MIDI Out to act as a MIDI Thru.

You mention the MIDI Channels you have for each device, but did you set this as the Receive Channel on each device as well as set this within the Ground Control Pro in the Device Name/Channel section under Setup Mode?

Let us know what you can and we should be able to help you get this up and running. Alternatively, you can give us a call while you are in front of the rig and we can try to walk you thru the Ground Control Pro programming steps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 pm 

Hi John,

I got the MIDI wiring correct as you mentioned.

I can say the mini amp Gizmo is working so I set the 4 patches.

patch 1: Clean
patch 2: Crunch
patch 3: Lead
patch 4: Solo

I want button 6 from the Mini Amp Gizmo to be the Reverb On/OFF apparently this needs to be set to CC94 but I don't yet know how to program the individual buttons to respond to MIDI commands.

On the Ground Control I added under device Name:
MAG: Channel 1
Mod Fact: Channel 2 - pedal is set to MIDI Thru
Time Fact: Channel 3 - pedal is set to MIDI Thru

So I want the Mod Fact to be button 7 and Time Fact to be Button 8.

The other 5 buttons are for stomp boxes that I have connected to the GCX and they are working.

So what I need to know know is how do I program button 6, 7 and 8 to work with MIDI and not with the GCX?

Is there something else I need to do like program under the MIDI button "5" in setup mode? Right now that is all set to default.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:18 pm 

It looks like the rest is up to programming your Instant Access buttons. Look to the Ground Control Pro manual for MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off in the Instant Access section under Setup for reference.

To program the Instant Access buttons, do the following:

1. On the Ground Control Pro, go into Setup Mode by pressing both Setup Buttons at the same time.
2. Press the button marked Instant Access.
3. Press the Select Down button repeatedly until the first digit on the screen matches the Button number you want to program. (So for Instant Access button 6 to be the MIDI Amp Gizmo switch controlling your Reverb scroll down until the first digit on the screen is 6.)
4. Use the Data +/- buttons to set which GCX you want to control or to set a MIDI Channel that matches another device you want to control. (So here you would repeatedly press Data + until you see "CH 1".)
5. Use the Cursor Left Right buttons to move the cursor.
6. Use the Data +/- buttons to set which GCX Loop you want to control or to set a MIDI CC number. (so here you will set the "CTL" number to 96.)
7. When finished programming, press either Setup button to save the changes then press Yes to Exit.

For buttons 7 and 8 you will want to set them to have the MIDI Channel that matches the Eventide pedal you want to control, then set the "CTL" number to match whatever you set on the pedal for the "Active" control change number.
On the Factor pedals, this is found in the MIDI section of the System Menu. (Active was added in a firmware update some time ago and works better than the "Bypass" setting when using Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro.)

Let us know if you get stuck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 pm 

thanks John, unfortunetly I won't be able to try this until tomorrow I get back to you after.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:16 pm 

Brilliant!!! I think I got it all working just like I want it too. Thank you so much John. Hope this posts also helps someone else someday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm 

One thing that is happening now is effects are staying on when I change presets.

For example I save preset 3 without the mod fact then I change to preset 4 for a solo with mod fact and go back to preset 3 but the mod fact stays on. I want it to always go back to what I saved. It's ignoring the bypass on the presets as soon as an effect is turned on it stays on and then I must double tap it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

Playing with this further now my Eventide pedals are inverted. So the red light is on and the pedal is in bypass. It's doing this for all the Eventide pedals.

Any idea how that could have happened?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 am 

It looks like you set the Control Change in the Eventide pedals for Bypass "BYP" rather than for the Active "ACT". In order to make these pedals respond correctly you need to use the "ACT" setting when assigning the Control Change you are using on these Instant Access buttons.
ACT was added to the Eventide Factor pedals in firmware version 2.4.2[1] in early 2010, so if your pedals are from around then or older, you may need to update in order to see the "ACT" setting. Also, be sure to set "BYP" back to the default of "---".

Let us know if that fixes it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:31 am 

I definitely have it set to active.

I think I should give you guy's a call as I have many questions.

You are open until what time?