Dual Amp Set-up Possibilities with PX8.

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
awbmab

Dual Amp Set-up Possibilities with PX8.

Post by awbmab » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:59 pm

So, I've currently got my PX8 running into the effects loop as follows:

1. Guitar into tuner, into wah, into TS9, into boost, into the Insert Return of PX8.
2. Loops 7 & 8 controlling compressor and Big Muff.
3. Out of PX8 directly into amp.

4. FX Send from amp into input of PX8.
5. Loops 1-6 controlling phaser, tremolo, DD500, delay 2, delay 3 and reverb.
6. Insert Send on the PX8 into FX Return on amp.

I would like to run an ABY pedal set-up, so that I can use 2 amps. 1 amp has an FX loop, the other doesn't.

So, the way it is set up now, I can only run the non-FX loop amp dry.

What are some ideas/ options to at least be able to run some of the effects through the non-FX loop amp?

The DD500 has Stereo outs, so I thought maybe some possibilities there.

Just puzzled as to which way to turn; without having to set up a second pedalboard.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

JohnClark

Re: Dual Amp Set-up Possibilities with PX8.

Post by JohnClark » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:18 pm

What are the amps?

Will you be wanting to actually live switch A/B/Y with them or is it that some gigs you will have amp A and others you will have amp B?

awbmab

Post by awbmab » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm

One is a Friedman PT-20, which has the FX loop. The other is an Orange AD30.

I would like to A/B/Y them.

However, it would also be nice to make the pedal board useable with one or the other, in case I don't want to drag both rigs with me.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 am

There isn't really a good way to share the effects from the PT-20 Effects Loop with the AD30, but you can certainly get the front end effects to both amps using an A/B/Y box after the PX-8 Output. Set up this way with only the PT-20 having the Phaser, Tremolo, 3 delays (!) and Reverb will still work well with only the Tremolo sounds being potentially weird. Give it a shot, I'm betting it will sound great this way!

For times when you will only have the AD30, you would simply run a cable from the PX-8 Output back to the PX-8 Input, then run the Insert Send to the front of the AD30. (This may require some knob tweaking for the effects in loops 1-6 since they will now be running at Instrument Level.)
If you had to have all effects and both amps you could run the A/B/Y box after the Insert Send to feed the front end of both amps with nothing in the FX Loop of the PT-20.

I hope that helps!

awbmab

Post by awbmab » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 am

Cool man! I will give it a shot!

I appreciate the assist!

Will let you know what happens.... 8-)