It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCX and Randall RF8
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:13 pm 

Greetings:

I am trying to control my GCX with a Randall RF8 foot controller. Seems to me it ought to work, but for some reason it's not. I must be overlooking something.

I am trying to configure the RF8 to operate like the old Ground Link, in other words, each of the eight switches turns the corresponding GCX loop on or off. The RF8 can be configured via dip switches to send CC messages on each button and they are CC80 through CC87, which I understand are the same CC#s used by the GCX to control loops 1-8. So no problem there so far as I can see.

I have the RF8's dip switches configured correctly, per their manual. The RF8 accepts either a 7 or 5 pin cable, and can be phantom powered on pins 1 and 3 or 6 and 7. The GCX sends power on pins 1 and 3, I believe, and, indeed, the RF8 powers up (lights work, etc.) when connected to the GCX with a 5 pin cable.

I press a footswitch on the RF8 and the light on the front of the GCX that indicates it is receiving a midi signal flashes. So something's getting through. Problem is, the corresponding loop does not turn on or off.

Can some kind and knowlegeable soul let me know what I'm missing here, and whether it's a problem that can be overcome? Or is the RF8 just flat out incompatible with the GCX for some reason?

Any help much, much appreciated.

Thanks...

Post subject: Re: GCX and Randall RF8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am 

You are correct that the GCX responds to Control Changes 80 - 87, but what looks to be the missing link here is that it responds to these messages on MIDI Channel 16. I took a look at the RF8 manual online and I don't see a way to set the MIDI Channel.

Do you know what MIDI Channel the RF8 is sending on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:55 am 

JohnClark wrote:
You are correct that the GCX responds to Control Changes 80 - 87, but what looks to be the missing link here is that it responds to these messages on MIDI Channel 16. I took a look at the RF8 manual online and I don't see a way to set the MIDI Channel.

Do you know what MIDI Channel the RF8 is sending on?

I don't. As you point out, there seems to be no mention of that in the manual. I guess I will ask them. If it's the wrong one, and there's no way to change it, am I out of luck, or can it be changed on the GCX to match the RF8? Any other potential workaround?

Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am 

We should be able to do something, but lets first find what the RF8 is capable of doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 am 

Heard back from Randall. I asked about MIDI channel, etc., but all the guy told me was that the two products were not compatible and that he had tried it himself to no avail. I guess I could press him on what channel it is if need be, but he may not even know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 am 

Addendum: If it ends up being too much gymnastics, I can simply return the RF8, but that brings me to a larger question: is there anything out there that functions like the old Ground Link?

I know I can set up a Ground Control (older or newer version) to do it, but those are kind of overkill and bulkier than necessary. I have one Ground Link, which is awesome, and I really wish you guys still made something just like it: a simple, compact, 8-button switch to control the GCX loops and that's it. My first choice has been to buy a second one for this new rig I'm putting together, but I have had a lot of trouble locating one for sale this time around...hence my attempts with the rf8.

Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 am 

Wow... I find it somewhat amazing that it's transmit channel is so completely unknown :o
I don't know of another MIDI controller like the Ground Link. In fact, this is the first time I've seen the RF8 and It certainly looked like it could have been a cool thing to fit that bill.

We can force the GCX to use MIDI Channel 1 with a replacement firmware chip. It is likely that is what the RF8 is sending, but it sure would be nice to know before jumping to modding the GCX.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:06 am 

I think far easier to return the RF8, chalk it up as a failed experiment, and seek out a ground link then get into swapping chips in GCX etc., though appreciate that the possibility exists.

Many thanks once again for your responsiveness to my dilemma.

Meanwhile, anyone have a Ground Link they'd like to sell? :D