It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCP Bank set options.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 pm 

I've come to the realization that with the G-Major 2 I cannot select different types of pitch effects from the IA buttons. So that means I have to set them up on different PC presets.

My question is, can I run the GCP in the 10 bank option but running in reverse from normal? Specifically, in the 4 Bank setting, the bottom 4 buttons(labeled as 1-4) are your PC while all the others are CC/IA. In the 10 Bank, the numbering starts on the upper row (1-4, 5-8, 9 & 0). Can I change that some how so 1-4 are on the bottom row with 5-6 in the middle and 9 & 0 are on top? (See Below)

9 0
5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

If this is not an option, can we get a firmware revision to make it one?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: GCP Bank set options.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm 

The Ground Control Pro does only have the two preset/Instant Access modes, and I do not have a firmware revision that changes this. Maybe there is another way to get what you want out of this setup?

It is true that the G-Major only lets you control the state of the generic effect type but not select between individual effects within that block. It is the preset that is currently loaded that will determine if the Pitch block is an Octaver or Detune. with the 4 Presets per Bank mode you could have the bottom row select the appropriate preset and still have the Instant Access buttons to turn blocks on or off.

How many different pitch effect types do you need to select between?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 pm 

In my current setup, I usually have 4 main channels.
1. Clean
2. Dirty Clean
3. High Gain
4. High Gain w/boost

I would like to use a couple of different harmonizers for different songs we play. Mainly I use the intelligent harmonizer for 3rds for one song and 4ths on another. I'd also like to use an Octave effect as well. Add in the ability to do use the Whammy effect every now and then and that is at least four different pitch effects I would like to have and all while using my high gain.

Since I can't swap pitch types on the fly, it seems like I would have to use different presets. I love the big 4 on bottom with 5-8 being above(I use to run an original GC that had that setup). If I could get the GCP to run like that, since I use 1-4 far more often than other options, that would be great!

Really, I just wish effects processors would allow me to hot swap effect parameters from CC. That would be appreciated. Ha-ha. Maybe I am just looking at this too complicated and you can see another option?

Who do we need to poke to maybe get a firmware revision to allow for this altered 10 bank config?

Regardless, thanks for your help, John! You've helped me to set up my GC in the past too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:40 am 

I would simply use more preset banks that indicate the song title. So your same four Ground Control Pro presets repeated but make them recall the appropriate G-Major presets with the correctly loaded pitch (or whatever specific effect type), is needed for the song.

A higher end/newer processor might be able to accomplish this, but it would still need to have these effects enabled within its currently loaded preset.

As for a firmware update, I wouldn't hold my breath :oops: ... It isn't a likely one to happen since it would also require a new button overlay to correctly identify what the buttons do.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:12 pm 

I can use the 10 bank preset option, my only disappointment is having to step all the way to the top of the board to get 1-4. Maybe just shift the preset orders around and make 9 and 0 the clean and drive channels... or maybe just set them up across different banks of 4. I'll figure it out.

I did look into some newer processors but they all seem to be stuck to the "one flavor of effect per block" thing. I'll keep looking around to see what else I can learn.

I'm not much of a programmer so I wouldn't be able to speak to what it would take to program the new layout option but I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to swap the first row of buttons with the third row and vice versa.

Wishful thinking, though. Regardless, I love the GCP board. It's a slick little beast with tons of options. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make to work with my rig, or more specifically, making my rig do what the GCP tells it to do. Haha.

Thanks John!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:05 pm 

I suppose if you were really set on doing this with the 10 preset mode then you could attempt to re wire the connection between the button board and main logic board... it wouldn't be an easy job for certain.

But, where I fail to see how this helps you is that per your idea, you already would have to create more presets AND give up all the Instant Access buttons.

You have more presets available already in the 4 Preset per Bank mode. So why not use that and still get to keep your Instant Access buttons? My suggestion is to have each bank in the 4 presets mode still have your setup with 1. Clean 2. Dirty Clean 3. High Gain 4. High Gain w/boost , but that each Bank has these tailored to recall G-Major patches that are appropriate for each individual song. You dig? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 pm 

That's what I set up earlier today, actually. I merged some of my presets and turned the Pitch block off using CC. Now that I've figured this out a bit more, it does open a lot more possibilities!

Again, thanks for your help John! As always, you're a tremendous help!