Ground Control receive midi data to show on/off status?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
chris101

Ground Control receive midi data to show on/off status?

Post by chris101 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me if the Voodoo Labs Ground control will receive midi data from an effects processor such as the G-major 2, so as to show the on/off status of the effect blocks by illuminating the GCs LEDs in accordance with the patch selected, for example: if I'm using a patch and then turn the delay effect off using the Ground Control, and then select the next patch that has delay 'on' by default, will the button assigned to control the delay effect re-illuminate its LED to indicate that the delay effect is now active again?

I've noticed that many cheaper midi controllers don’t have this 2 way communication, but I'm guessing the Ground Control is ok?

Thanks,

Chris

JohnClark

Re: Ground Control receive midi data to show on/off status?

Post by JohnClark » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am

2 way communication is not needed. The status of any Instant Access button is simply programed and saved with the Ground Control Pro preset...

To make the instant access button status match with effects that are active on a given preset:

1. Call up the Ground Control Pro preset that you want to edit.
2. Press any of the Instant Access buttons that should be on for this preset.
3. Press and hold the EDIT button.
4. Once the Ground Control Pro screen changes, press the EDIT button again.
5. Press the YES button to save the changes.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for each Ground Control Pro preset that has active effects.

Let us know if you get stuck.

chris101

Re: Ground Control receive midi data to show on/off status?

Post by chris101 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Sounds great, I only use about 10 user defined patches, so its hopefully not too much work, thanks. Now I just need to find a supplier in the UK!