g major in stereo loop setting HELP

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Manhell

g major in stereo loop setting HELP

Post by Manhell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 am

Hi, I'm running a stereo rig with gcx and g major, my connections are guitar in the in of the 1st loop, loop 1,2 and 3 with pedals then it goes out to the guitar in in the front panel, then I split it in 2 and goes in the 6 and 7 loops for A/B/Y to the amps, in the 4 and 8(or 5) loops is the gmajor in stereo in the fx loops of the amps, all is fine here. I'm using a ENGL ritchie blackmore and a fender hot rod deville, and when I plug them on they work fine but when I turn on the loop of the gmajor in the deville fx loop it cuts the sound and I can barely ear it. btw the ENGL works fine. with other set up I could ear the gmajor in the deville but I have the pedals plug out. what's wrong with this?

thanks

Manhell

Re: g major in stereo loop setting HELP

Post by Manhell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:37 am

here is the connections explained! what am I doing wrong?
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (39.54 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 am

Tip #1... Make sure your Sends go to Ins and your Outs go to Returns. These are not labeled on your drawing for the Fender effect loop and the G-Major connections so we have to assume it is a possibility that something is connected backwards.

Tip #2... Make sure the G-Major is set up for stereo input and output. You can quickly test if the problem is in the G-Major setup by swapping the left and right Input/Output connections... if the problem moves to the other amp then you need to change some G-Major settings.

Good Luck!

Manhell

Post by Manhell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:51 am

Hi thanks, but I don't think is the bad connections becaus I run a choeus in the fender fx loop that's not connected in the gcx and it works
I will do the 2# tip to see what happend! thanks

soon I will post pics

Manhell

Post by Manhell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:39 pm

hi, I tried with diferent configurations and some of them didn't alow me to play the g major at all. anyway , anything I put in the fx loop of the fender and in the gcx as the same issue, it drops the volume to inaudible and completly dry signal. what is wrong with my set up? I want to confirue it to be able to do stereo in the g major effects and pedals in the rack and to have the g major in the 2 loops, can you give me a connection to do so?

thanks

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Aside from the missing detail I mentioned before, your drawing shows the correct connections. You can first test that the G-Major is properly set up by connecting it directly to the Fender effect loop. Here is the detail you need to properly test this setup in order to find what is wrong.

1. Connect the Fender Effect Send to GCX Loop 5 In.
2. Connect GCX Loop 5 Send to G-Major Left (Mono) Input.
3. Connect G-Major Left Output to GCX Loop 5 Return.
4. Connect GCX Loop 5 Out to Fender Effect Return.

Because the G-Major does not let you set the left and right input levels separately this problem may not be solvable. It could be that the Engl has a considerably different output level at the effect send than the Fender. Another possibility is that you simply have some bad cables. Keep the testing simple and you are sure to find the culprit. Good Luck!

Manhell

Post by Manhell » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:50 am

hey john thanks a lot for your time! I just found out what the problem was...a simple bad cable that was ruin everything! it's shamefull for me since I am a rig designer for the palce where musicians have their studios :oops:

anyway, this is not the topic but I don't know where to ask this, does voodoo lab have a dealer in portugal?

thanks again