It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to hook up two dmc groundcontrol?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hi,

I own two dmc groundcontrols. But they dont have a midi in or trough. How do i hook them up? Do i need a midi y-cable?

Post subject: Re: How to hook up two dmc groundcontrol?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

You would need a MIDI Merger in order to run two original Ground Control units.

As you note, there is no MIDI In, so be aware that there is no way to sync the two units so they display the preset that was recalled on the other unit.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm 

Ok, can i also use two cables to my rack? My amp has got an midi thru en i also have a gcx.

My plan was to use one in preset mode. And the other for instant access for the gcx. Is that an option?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:37 pm 

A MIDI Thru does not help you here. A MIDI Thru is a sort of output that sends a copy of whatever MIDI data was fed to the MIDI In. It cannot be used backward.

Assuming you want two original Ground Control units to control the same rig you would need to run them each to a MIDI Merger. The MIDI Out of the Merger would then go to the first MIDI device in the rig.

To attempt to better answer your question... what exactly are you trying to do with these two original Ground Control units?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:29 am 

I know this is regarding the original ground control board, and not the pro version, but I still think Voodoo Labs should offer a bigger ground control pro...... I'm sure there'd be a market for both the standard size with 8 IA buttons and 4 preset buttons which we've got now and also a board that's got 16 IA buttons and 8 preset buttons. I for one would have bought the 16 button if it had been available.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 am 

JohnClark wrote:
A MIDI Thru does not help you here.

To attempt to better answer your question... what exactly are you trying to do with these two original Ground Control units?

The idea is/was to expand the amount of ia buttuns and to have access to more presets without using the "bank" button.

First ground control in bank4 mode:
1=clean channel
2=clean channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.
3=blues channel
4=blues channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.
Upper row is instant access

Second ground control in bank4 mode:
1=Dirty channel
2= Dirty channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.
3=Ultra gain channel
4=Ultra gain channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.

Another option could be to use one ground controll for presets and the other for instant access for the GCX.

Is that an option?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

danee wrote:
JohnClark wrote:
A MIDI Thru does not help you here.

The idea is/was to expand the amount of ia buttuns and to have access to more presets without using the "bank" button.

First ground control in bank4 mode:
1=clean channel
2=clean channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.
3=blues channel
4=blues channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.

Second ground control in bank4 mode:
1=Dirty channel
2= Dirty channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.
3=Ultra gain channel
4=Ultra gain channel and loop 1+2 from the gcx.

Another option could be to use one ground controll for presets and the other for instant access for the GCX.

Is that an option?

I suppose you could use them either way, however you will still only have the top row buttons available for Instant Access regardless. If I were to do this I would have them both set for 4 Presets per Bank.

You will still need a Merger to combine the MIDI Outs of these two units, and be aware that changes made on one unit will not be reflected on the other.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:28 pm 

bettsaj wrote:
I know this is regarding the original ground control board, and not the pro version, but I still think Voodoo Labs should offer a bigger ground control pro...... I'm sure there'd be a market for both the standard size with 8 IA buttons and 4 preset buttons which we've got now and also a board that's got 16 IA buttons and 8 preset buttons. I for one would have bought the 16 button if it had been available.

Perhaps of interest to both of you...

There is a v2 Beta firmware of the Ground Control Pro that will allow for using two Ground Control Pro units together with one being set to 10 Presets per Bank and the other one set to a new Instant Access mode where there are two Banks of 12 Instant Access buttons. Contact us at info@voodoolab.com to get the firmware updates. So far we have been giving them away since they are Beta and have limited support. (I'm probably the only one in the Lab that knows how it works ;) )

Because the Ground Control Pro has both a MIDI In and MIDI Out, changes made on the Preset unit will trigger the appropriate LEDs on the Instant Access unit ...and there is no Merger required ;)

Last edited by JohnClark on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
removed incorrect info on both units needing the update... oops

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:08 am 

John, thank's for your help. I accualy own a GCP but it needs repair to the circuit board. It was damaged in an attempt to build a 9v output into the pedal. I had to pick a guy who accualy knows what he is doing. This guy didn't.

Will this merger do the job?

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 am 

The MIDI Solutions Merger would be perfect!