It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground Control Pro - IA momentary CC on/off message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:56 am 

I want to set up a GCP to change electro-harmonix HOG2 presets with momentary IA buttons. I want to be able to hit a button, and change to a preset, and let go of the button and change to a different preset, so it's kind of like a momentary solo button, or maybe a "stun" button. So, I need to know what data message is sent for the CC on and off messages when using momentary IA buttons. Is it 127 for on, and 0 for off as I suspect? (assuming the setup is set for 0-127) The owner's manual doesn't really say.

Once I know this, I think I can program a Midi Solutions Event Processor to do what I need. I need to send specific CC data to control the HOG2, which is on MIDI CC 118 with a datum of 0 through 120 for each of its 120 presets (0 being no preset or "off"). The HOG2 can also accept PC messages as preset changes, but it's not possible to achieve that on the IA buttons for a separate "down" and "up" action either.

Also, I have firmware 1.02 on my GCP, and sent an email on Friday regarding updating it.

Lastly, is the MIDI IN connector input merged and transmitted out the MIDI OUT (MIDI thru)? If not, can it be?

Thanks in advance for help.

Post subject: Re: Ground Control Pro - IA momentary CC on/off message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 am 

A Ground Control Pro Instant Access button set to Momentary will send data value 127 when the button is pressed and data value 0 when the button is released.

The MIDI Out will mirror MIDI data coming to the MIDI In that is not intended for the Ground Control Pro. However it will filter out MIDI Clock ... What are you looking to send thru the Ground Control Pro?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:41 pm 

Quote:
A Ground Control Pro Instant Access button set to Momentary will send data value 127 when the button is pressed and data value 0 when the button is released.

Ah, that's good news.

Quote:
The MIDI Out will mirror MIDI data coming to the MIDI In that is not intended for the Ground Control Pro. However it will filter out MIDI Clock ... What are you looking to send thru the Ground Control Pro?

If anything, it would be a Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Pedal, which merges incoming midi to it's output. I'm building an 8ch snake to go from the rack to the floor, but may need to loop a couple of devices. I may want midi clock to it though, maybe it will need to be first from the Helix or H9 depending on the routing config.

Oh, are the midi in and out opto isolated on the GCP?

I checked out the actual power draw of the GCP BTW, and found it to be around 300mA max running on 9vdc, usually closer to 200mA depending on the state of the GCP. I was concerned about voltage drop using the snake, and determined that it should work fine with minimal drop on a 20ish foot 26awg wire.

Well, now I'll go ahead and get a Midi Solutions Event Processor, probably the plus version...

Thanks a bunch for the help John. I've read numerous posts here, you are da man!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm 

When I've built rigs that will use MIDI Clock from an outside source, I generally like to place a MIDI Merger just ahead of the first device in the MIDI Chain that will actually use the clock data. It probably isn't necessary in most cases but it does prevent "surprises" caused by some other device.

We do follow the ages old MIDI spec with the MIDI In going to an opto-isolator before the processor.

When you do your max current draw test, make sure to turn on as many LEDs as possible and try to fill the screen with "8"s... I think you might then see the current reach above 300mA. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'll do that, thanks, but if it stays under 500mA I should be OK. 8-)

That loop will be fed from an output of the motu midi express xt, so I can control exactly what is merged into the loop.

Quote:
We do follow the ages old MIDI spec with the MIDI In going to an opto-isolator before the processor.

OK great, thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 am 

Oh it will most certainly stay under 500mA. I was just thinking you might be attempting to limit to 300mA... that might start causing troubles.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:02 pm 

"... might be attempting to limit to 300mA ..."

Nah, just concerned about the load and wire size.

Thanks.