It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PX8 Plus + VL Control Switcher: Need help!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:24 pm 

I apologize in advance for my limited understanding, but i'm hoping someone here can help me out!

I recently purchased the PX8 Plus and was given awesome instructions from members of the forum here (thanks John!). It's making my rig work like a well oiled machine and i'm so happy with it.

I had inquired about using the PX8 Plus in connection with my amp head to switch between my clean and distortion channels, and was given the suggestion to pair it with a VL Control Switcher in order to achieve this goal. I just got it in the mail and hooked it up to my rig, but i'm having trouble getting it to work the way I intended.

Could anyone guide me on how to use these two pedals together to achieve my goal of turning the PX8 Plus's 1st button into a channel switcher? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Since there isn't a current manual for the PX8 Plus, there isn't any definitive literature i can find regarding this issue. I'm sure the manual once updated for the plus would have all the instructions i need, but alas, i'm SOL.

Post subject: Re: PX8 Plus + VL Control Switcher: Need help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am 

The Control Switcher will need to be set to respond to MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1 in order to respond to PX-8 Plus presets. This is shown in the Control Switcher Manual under Setup in the Set MIDI Channel and MIDI Program Change Enable sections.
I can detail the steps, but I'd need to know if your Control Switcher has Black or Red buttons

Once the Control Switcher is programmed to respond to the PX-8 Plus you will save presets by doing the following:
1. Recall a Preset on the PX-8 Plus that will also control the amp.
2. Press the appropriate buttons on the Control Switcher that set the amp how you like.
3. Press and Hold Buttons 1 and 4 on the Control Switcher to save these settings to the PX-8 Plus Preset.

Let us know if you two get stuck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:31 pm 

Hey John!

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I have a control switcher with red buttons. If you could give me detailed instructions on how to do it, that would be fantastic! I've been playing around with it, but i'm not sure exactly how to achieve the desired result. I apologize for the number of questions, It's just a little over my head!

Im not sure whether or not i have to enable it to recieve PC AND CC messages, only one of the two choices, or none of them. The midi channel should be 1 by default which is fine. Im also not entirely understanding how the changing of CC numbers/Setting switch functionality works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 am 

No problemo!

First is to get the Control Switcher programmed to accept the MIDI messages that the PX-8 Plus will send. We will be turning on Program Changes only and check that it is set to MIDI Channel 1. The Start Up Program modes are accomplished by holding down a button when powering up the Control Switcher.

Enable Program Change
1. Press and Hold Button #1 and power up the Control Switcher.
2. The LEDs will all flash to confirm you are in a Start Up Program Mode.
3. Release Button #1.
4. To enable Program Changes only, make sure that only LED 1 is On.
5. Power down the Control Switcher.

Check MIDI Receive Channel
1. Press and Hold Button #2 and power up the Control Switcher.
3. Release Button #2.
4. For MIDI Channel 1, make sure that all the LEDs are Off.
5. Power down the Control Switcher.

...and that is it for the Setup Programming.

Next we will create a PX-8 Plus preset that also also sets the Control Switcher buttons. For this part everything is set up and powered up already. MIDI Out of the PX-8 Plus should be going to the MIDI In of the Control Switcher. (We haven't discussed this yet, but I assume the amp is connected to the Control Switcher and pressing Control Switcher buttons does indeed switch the amp?)

Store Control Switcher buttons with a PX-8 Preset.
1. Recall any PX-8 Plus preset that you want to have the Control Switcher perform an amp switching function.
2. Press any Control Switcher buttons that should be On for this preset so the amp is doing what you want.
3. Press and Hold Buttons #1 and #4 on the Control Switcher to save these settings.
4. The LEDs will flash to confirm the save.
5. Release Buttons #1 and #4.
6. Rock Out!

Let us know if you get stuck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 pm 

Thank you so much John! Thanks to your instructions, we were able to do it! Couldn't have done it without you!

I just have one tiny question more if that's okay!

When the PX8 Plus is not in preset mode (IE: in the red-L.E.D IA Mode), is it possible to use the control switcher to actuate an individual "pedal" button of the PX8 to turn it into a non-preset channel switcher? In essence, using the right most button/inputs on the PX8 to Press and Depress the button, effectually changing between clean and distortion channels with each press?

If not its totally fine, because the preset saving route will do the trick! I was just wondering if it was possible so that if i'm playing and want to engage individual pedals instead of presets, if i'd be able to swing 1A as such!

Thanks again for all of your help man! You're my hero!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 am 

Of Course! How silly of me! You'll have to forgive me as I had completely forgotten about a feature we put into the PX-8 Plus!

So we are going to undo what I previously had you do to the Control Switcher. Then we are going to enable a somewhat hidden feature on the PX-8 Plus that will then make this system do exactly what you want. When creating presets, you will have access to the loops on the PX-8 Plus as well as the four switches on the Control Switcher directly from the PX-8 Plus buttons.

First up, restore the Control Switcher.
1. Press and Hold Buttons #2 and #3 at the same time and power up the Control Switcher.
3. Release Buttons #2 and #3.
4. Press each button after it lights up. (this is a button test)
5. Wait for all the LEDs to flash then power down the Control Switcher.

Second, enable the "External Switcher" in PX-8 Plus.
1. Press and Hold Button #6 and power up the PX-8 Plus.
3. Release Button #6.
4. To enable the External Switcher set LED#6 to be On.
5. Power Down the PX-8 Plus.

Now for the fun part... Creating PX-8 Plus presets that include the Control Switcher!
1. While in Preset Mode (LED 5 is Green) Call up the preset you wish to edit.
2. Press Button #5 to go to 4 Button Instant Access Mode (LED 5 will turn Red).
3. In this Mode "L" on the display indicates that Buttons A,D,C, and D control Loops 1-4... activate any of Loops 1-4.
4. Press the Bank Up or Down button to change the display to "H".
5. In this Mode "H" on the display indicates that Buttons A,D,C, and D control Loops 5-8... activate any of Loops 5-8.
6. Press the Bank Up or Down button to change the display to "E".
7. In this Mode "E" on the display indicates that Buttons A,D,C, and D control Switches 1-4 on your Control Switcher... activate any of Switches 1-4.
8. Press and hold the Store button. The Store LED will turn Green, The Display will flash the current Bank number, and the Preset LEDs will scroll through continually until you make a selection.
(9.) If you want to change the bank that this new preset will be saved to, you can press the Bank Up or Bank Down button to change the Bank
10. Press the Preset button you want these settings to save to.
11. The Preset LED will flash to confirm the save.
12. Rock Out!

I hope that helps! Sorry again for making this so complicated up to now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
No problemo!

1. Recall any PX-8 Plus preset that you want to have the Control Switcher perform an amp switching function.
2. Press any Control Switcher buttons that should be On for this preset so the amp is doing what you want.
3. Press and Hold Buttons #1 and #4 on the Control Switcher to save these settings.
6. Rock Out!

Hello John,
my LEDs are not flashing to confirm the save.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 am 

fred47 wrote:
JohnClark wrote:
No problemo!

6. Rock Out!

Hello John,
my LEDs are not flashing to confirm the save.

You are quoting an earlier post from this thread. This would be appropriate if you are using the Program Changes sent from PX-8 Plus to control the Control Switcher. Is that how you are using these units together?
My last post above this one describes a different way to use these units together where all preset programming is done on the PX-8 Plus.