It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Controlling the GC Pro via a sequencer
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:02 pm 

Hi,

I have a very simple problem.
I am using the 4 preset mode on the GC.
For every song is a differnt bank, each song has a maximum of 4 presets.
On the GC that means that preset 0.1 is song 1 + preset 1 and preset 1.1 is song 2 + preset 1.

Now I am trying to call these presets via Midi program changes from a sequencer.
This works as expected.
When sending program change 1 it calls song 1 + preset 1.
When sending program change 2 it calls song 1 + preset 2.
When sending program change 11 it calls song 2 + preset 1.

Here comes the problem:
Midi program changes have a max of 128.
In this setup the highest preset I can call with the sequencer is song 12 + preset 4 (C.4 on the GC) by sending program change 124.
How do I call the song presets for banks D and higher?
It doesn't seem that the GC can receive any kind of bank changes.

Best regards

Post subject: Re: Controlling the GC Pro via a sequencer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am 

Are you certain you are seeing it behave this way? The presets respond in sequential order without gaps regardless of what "Bank Mode" (4 presets or 10 Presets) you are in. In 10 Preset per Bank mode the Bank and Preset location numbers do happen to follow the Program Change numbers. However, in 4 Presets per Bank mode the displayed Bank and Preset number will not correspond to the Program Change number... Preset 11 should follow directly after Preset 04.

If you send Program Change 01 to the Ground Control Pro and you see it recall Bank 0 Preset 1, then Program Change 11 should recall Bank 2 Preset 3 and Program Change 124 should recall a preset all the way up into Bank "U".
With 128 Program Changes at your disposal, you should be able to recall every preset from Bank "0" into Bank "V"... that should be enough for 30 songs the way you have it set up.

Let us know if you get stuck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:44 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I was expecting the behaviour you describe, but the GC reacts in a weird way.
The most confusing part is this:

The first 4 presets work like a charm.
Program Change 1 calls Preset 0.1 and Program Change 4 calls Preset 0.4.
The red dot on the GC is also lighting up, showing that the correct preset has been called.

But after this, things get crazy.

Program Change 5 calls Preset 1.1 (like you say it should).
It also seems to call the correct preset (the correct name is shown on the LCD).
But this time the red dot does not light up.
It seems as the GC calls the correct preset, but somehow stays in Bank 0.
So after the preset has been called and I stomp on switch #2, it calls Preset 0.2 again instead of preset 1.2.

Only by trying things out I saw that sending Program Change 11 not only calls the "correct" preset, but this time the red dot lights up and the GC also switches to the correct bank. I can now switch through the correct presets 1.1 to 1.4 manually on the floor board.

So both Program Change 5 and 11 seem to call the same preset, but with a slightly different outcome.

Any ideas?
I hope my explanations somehow make sense.

I am using Ableton Live Midi Tracks with Program Changes btw.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:06 pm 

Where are you seeing a "Red Dot" on the Ground Control Pro? The only Red LEDs are the button indicators.

Do you mean the "." after the Bank number in the display perhaps? This is just an indicator that is supposed to let you know you have returned to the Bank of the last successful Preset recalled. It should only appear if you have been pressing the Bank buttons away from the current Bank, then back.
Here is an example of how it works...
1. Recall Preset 02.
2. Press the Bank Up button a few times, but do not press any preset button.
3. The Display will continually scroll thru the preset names in the new Bank.
4. Press the Bank Down button to return to Bank 0, but do not press any preset button.
5. The "." will show up after the Bank digit to show this is your current Bank and the display will scroll thru the preset names once then land on the original preset, 02.

For your issues, are you perhaps sending more data to the Ground Control Pro than just a single Program Change on a single MIDI Channel? Do you maybe have the last MIDI Out returning back to the Sequencer and thus creating a MIDI Loop?

I've been testing this here as I've been responding and have not seen any behavior like you are describing. Can you do a data dump from your Ground Control Pro to your computer and email me the file so I can test with a Ground Control Pro that is programmed just like yours? The email address would be info@voodoolab.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:42 pm 

By "red dot" I mean the red button indicators.

When switching banks all button indicators for button 1-4 cycle through.
As soon as I select one preset the red button indicator stays on the selectes preset.

This is also the behaviour when calling preset 1-4 by Midi Program Changes.
Program Change 3 calls preset 0.3 with the correct preset name being shown in the top lcd and the correct red button indicator lighting up.

However when sending Program Change 5, preset 1.1 is loaded, the correct preset name is being shown, but no button indicator is lighting up.
As soon as I now hit button 2 with my foot it will call preset 0.2 instead of 1.2.

Only when sending Program Change 11 it again calls preset 1.1, but this time the correct button indicator on button 1 lights up.
And when hitting button 2 with my foot it correctly calls preset 1.2.

I only send 1 Midi program change out of Ableton Live at the very beginning of each song to call the first preset of each song.
I will then call the other presets myself while playing with my foot.

The main idea is just to quickly jump to different songs in a live situation and to be more flexible with the setlist.

Again..what totally surprises me is the fact that different program changes out of Ableton seem to call the same preset with slightly different effect.

PC 1 -> Preset 0.1 with red indicator
PC 2 -> Preset 0.2 with red indicator
PC 3 -> Preset 0.3 with red indicator
PC 4 -> Preset 0.4 with red indicator
PC 5 -> Preset 1.1 without red indicator
PC 6 -> Preset 1.2 without red indicator
PC 7 -> Preset 1.3 without red indicator
PC 8 -> Preset 1.4 without red indicator
PC 9 -> Preset 2.1 without red indicator
PC 10 -> Preset 2.2 without red indicator
PC 11 -> Preset 1.1 with red indicator

For testing this it was only a single laptop with Ableton Live and a midi interface going into the Midi In of the GC.
The GC itself was not connected to anything else as I just wanted to test the correct calling of the presets.

I will try to send you the sysx file tomorrow (if that is what you were asking for with "data dump").

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 pm 

Wow!! So the button LEDs aren't even lighting up on the problem presets!?! ...that is so unbelievable to me (not to say that it isn't happening ;) ) that I couldn't even put it together that this is what you were saying :shock: I was completely expecting that you had a Ground Control Pro with the display changed to Red somehow ;)

Yes, the SysEX preset data is exactly what I would want. I should also be able to check it for possible memory corruption.

Although there really shouldn't be a way for a correctly functioning Ground Control Pro to respond as you are seeing, is there any other MIDI source at your disposal that you could test this out with by sending the same set of Program Change messages 1-11?

Also, how do you power the Ground Control Pro?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm 

Hi,

I just sent the syx file via mail.
I will also try to setup another midi source.

For the first test the GC was powered by the Ac adpater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm 

So I loaded your memory dump into my Ground Control Pro and it is working exactly as it should*. I am able to send any of the Program Changes we have discussed and it always shows the correct preset with the correct button LED turned on.

*It is working as it should except that to get it to respond at all I had to enable Program Change Receive. Any reason this is turned off in the file you sent me?
I also see that only Device #8, AXE-FX, has a MIDI Channel assigned. Is this how you actually have your Ground Control Pro currently set?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:57 am 

First of all many thanks for taking the time and trying things out.

So you say that Program Change 5 tgriggers preset 1.1 and Program Change triggers preset 2.3 (as it should :))?

I think I just set Midi Receive to Off right after the test, because I never used it before anyway.
And it is right that in the current setup the only thing I send Midi signals to is the Axe FX.

I will see to find another Midi source or see if there is anything weird going ong in Ableton Live.
If I still can't get it to work, I will send you a video.

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am 

0verfl0w wrote:
First of all many thanks for taking the time and trying things out.

So you say that Program Change 5 tgriggers preset 1.1 and Program Change triggers preset 2.3 (as it should :))?

Yep, all working like it should including lighting the corresponding button LED...
Program Change 5 recalls Ground Control Pro Preset "11. Vertigo".
Program Change 11 recalls Ground Control Pro Preset "23. Beautiful"

0verfl0w wrote:
I think I just set Midi Receive to Off right after the test, because I never used it before anyway.
And it is right that in the current setup the only thing I send Midi signals to is the Axe FX.

Cool, I was just checking in case the file was somehow compromised.

0verfl0w wrote:
I will see to find another Midi source or see if there is anything weird going ong in Ableton Live.

Let us know how that goes! If it does fail still, or if you would rather just get your Ground Control Pro in to us for an inspection now, feel free to give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com to arrange for its return.

Good Luck!