4. Source Audio
5. VL Control Switcher (set to PC only)

Amp: Mesa Boogie Roadster (4 channels)

What works:
1. I am able to change change channels on the Roadster
2. I am able to switch loops on the HEX
3. I am able to switch presets on the H9, TimeFactor, and Source Audio hub

The problem:
I am getting random clicks on the Voodoo Labs control switcher, almost as if it is responding to MIDI commands that I am not sending. It momentarily "switches" the amp channel. This does not happen when I go direct from ES-8 into Control switcher. None of the other MIDI devices share the same channel.

Here is a video of what I am describing:

https://youtu.be/wvLWw8vGACE

You can hear the click on 0:02, 0:31, 0:42, and 0:53 of the video. As you can see, I am not stepping on any switches.

The interval between clicks is random.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Post subject: Re: Problem with Voodoo Labs Hex + Control Switcher
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 pm 

Also, for troubleshooting purposes, I removed all other MIDI devices from the chain except for the 2 Voodoo Labs devices.

This still has the "random clicking" problem:

Boss ES-8 --> HEX --> Control Switcher

This does not:

Boss ES-8 --> Control Switcher --> HEX

Could the HEX be spewing some random MIDI that is causing issues on the Control Switcher? In any case, it appears the HEX before the Control Switcher is the problem regardless if there is another device between them.

I would prefer the Control Switcher to be the last MIDI device in my chain because of cabling logistics... (i.e. only one MIDI cable from my pedalboard to the Control Switcher which is sitting on top of the amp).

Thanks,
Iohan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am 

It does indeed look like there is a "ghost message" of sorts happening there. What MIDI Channels do you have the switchers set to respond? If you are running the last MIDI Out back to the MIDI In on ES-8... well don't ;) This would create a MIDI Loop that could do this sort of thing.

Barring any real good idea here about how this can be happening, have yo tried doing a Factory Rest on the HEX? This is done by holding down buttons 2 and 3 when powering up, then pressing each button as it lights up, after a successful button test and some internal tests, the LEDs will all flash three times to confirm passing. You can power down, then re-program for the MIDI Channel and to enable Control Changes.

Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
It does indeed look like there is a "ghost message" of sorts happening there. What MIDI Channels do you have the switchers set to respond? If you are running the last MIDI Out back to the MIDI In on ES-8... well don't ;) This would create a MIDI Loop that could do this sort of thing.

Barring any real good idea here about how this can be happening, have yo tried doing a Factory Rest on the HEX? This is done by holding down buttons 2 and 3 when powering up, then pressing each button as it lights up, after a successful button test and some internal tests, the LEDs will all flash three times to confirm passing. You can power down, then re-program for the MIDI Channel and to enable Control Changes.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the last MIDI OUT going back in the ES-8, so there is no MIDI loop.

I went ahead and reconfigured my chain to have the CS go before the HEX, so for now the problem is being avoided. When I get a chance I will try your suggestion and factory reset the HEX to see if it helps.

Thanks!