It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible GCX issue??
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:09 am 

What if you simplify this setup for a test...

1. Guitar directly to Triaxis.
2. Triaxis stereo Outputs directly to the Power amp.
(nothing else connected to Triaxis)

Do you get sound out of both cabs?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:57 pm 

Yeah, I rigged it up in series, not exactly as you've suggested but not using the loop and it works beautifully.although the left output is slightly lower than the right.

Triaxis > g-force
G-force > power amp

I've rewired it all back into the TriAxis loop, and it's now working, albeit the left channel is still slightly lower in output than the right.... I honestly think the dual output pot needs replacing, as left output knob doesn't seem to do much, where the other knob does. I've contacted the boogie rep near me and I'm buying a new knob, only £4, ($3.50) so worth replacing for that little cost.

On my rig the bigger of the 2 knobs (collar??) is the left channel, while the central knob is the right channel. When you turn the knob for the right channel, the volume goes up and down nicely. When you turn the knob for the left channel the volume hardly changes at all, so i think obviously I need to get this sorted. I should be able to solder a new one in myself it being a simple pot..... Once that's been done I should be good to go.

I've done a A/B test of using the loop and placing the G-Force between the TriAxis and the Power amp, I've also noticed that in John Petrucci's rig he nearly always wires things in series and doesn't use the FX loops. He certainly never uses the loop in the TriAxis, at least not for effects. certainly to my ears placing the G-Force in series seems to be more dynamic sounding, with the dynamic delays "appearing" to be more dynamic, where in the loop they seem a bit weedy. Maybe it's just me.

I'll get the knob replaced, then take things from there..... i'm struggling at the moment to decide whether to go in the loop or in series. The only benefit I can see of going in the loop is it's programmable, so you can turn it off in certain programs..... But to be honest, it's really not a deal breaker as I can also do that in the G-Force, by creating a patch that has no FX turned on.

David Gilmour

Last edited by bettsaj on Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 am 

UPDATE:

I pulled the TriAxis out of the rack to do 2 things.

1. Change the battery (because I don't know how old it is)
2. To check the Pot.

I changed the battery no issue,

However I checked the pot and it looks like I don't need a new one after all. The locking nut that stops it from turning around was loose, so consequently the whole pot was turning around which is why the left channel wasn't really altering. I tightened the locking nut up, replaced the top cover.... put it back in the rack and BINGO!! everything is OK on the channel volume front :-)

I still have this issue with understanding the TriAxis FX loop. Maybe i'm just being thick... But I can't get my head around the FX loop in the Triaxis. let me explain my problem.

When i place the G-Force in the Triaxis loop, and toggle the Triaxis through the different switch, loop combinations I have no sound when the loop is on (albeit I do have sound but so quiet you can hardly hear it), but i do have sound when the loop is off. I must say at this point i'm not using a Mesa boogie 2:90.... I'm using a Randal stereo power amp.

The manual says that the master control alters the FX loop level as well as the master volume for that patch.... well, even when the master is at 5.5 i hear nothing when the loop is on.

What am I missing?

David Gilmour