It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible GCX issue??
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:13 pm 

This is open to anyone, although John Will probably chip in. All advice gratefully accepted.

First of all here are 2 photos of my rack. I'll then describe in infinite detail how it's wired, and what has happened in the hope that either:

A. I'm proved to be an idiot and have made a schoolboy error with my wiring
B. there is an underlying issue with the GCX that has just been brought to light
C. I've broken it

Ok, as you can see in the rack from the top is the following:

1. Samson Power Conditioner
2. Sennheiser Wireless system
3. Korg DTR1 Rack Tuner
4. TC Electronics G-Force Effects Processor
5. Mesa Boogie TriAxis
6. GCX Audio Switcher
7. Pedal draw

In a separate rack case is the power amp.

This is how it's all wired:

Ignoring the power conditioner completely for obvious reasons, the signal starts at the wireless system... Here's the flow

Wireless into rear input 1 of the Korg
front panel jack socket into rear input 2 of the korg

This enables me to have a contingency if the wireless goes down, i just plug in the cable and switch the tuner from input 1 to input 2.

Korg output, the signal goes to the GCX rear panel Feed Thru. i have no pedals at the moment, therefore.....

GCX rear panel loop 8 out to rack patch panel wah send jack socket. (this is the left hand socket in the photo connected by a small U shaped patch lead)
From there the signal goes into the Wah return socket (the other jack socket connected by the patch lead). When the Wah isn't used I just patch the input and out put with the patch lead... When i use the Wah, I connect it to these send and return sockets with normal guitar leads.

From there the signal is hard wired from the patch panel to a jack plug which goes into the TriAxis rear input. From there the signal goes to the patch panel left and right outputs, into the power amp left and right inputs.

The TC Electronic G-Force is not part of the signal chain, it is wired directly into the TriAxis effects loop.

Now onto my problem.

Everything was fine, then i thought i'd try the G-Force in series and not in the loop.I disconnected all the wires that were connected into the loop of the TriAxis, then got called away to do something else by the Wife. Long story short I went on line, then thought I'd re-wire it back into the loop after reading about the differences, and also from watching some YouTube videos. I didn't wire it in series in the end.

i rewired it as above and I've got no signal into the Triaxis, no sound and nothing on the input meter of the G-Force. I then started to check and re-check all the leads, before the TriAxis and all was OK. I then thought i'd wire the Korg directly into the Triaxis, effectively bypassing the GCX and the Wah send and returns.. it burst into life.

OK, so i have good wiring up the Korg, the cable from the Korg output in OK, I checked the small patch lead.. OK, I checked the Wah send and return wiring.. OK... Basically all wiring is OK.

I've checked the obvious, have i got the mute switched on on the G-Force. That is off.

That leaves the GCX...... This was working fine.... Am I overlooking something??

I'm going to triple check the wiring on the patch panel, just in case I missed something.... Although the patch panel was checked at least twice before it was even screwed into the rack, and it's now been checked a 3rd time.

David Gilmour

Last edited by bettsaj on Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Possible GCX issue??
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm 

Sure, I'll chime in... its the routing. ;)

Follow the signal path thru the system as if you were your favorite riff... I am reasonably certain you'll find a cable going somewhere it shouldn't.

There is nothing your wife could have said that would have upset the GCX :P

If you just have to suspect any piece of gear, look to the patch panel or just skip routing thru it all together as a test.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:39 pm 

GCX feed thru to loop 8 out should be ok?...

It's late here now, so I'll check it out tomorrow and report back....

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm 

In your first post you say the tuner goes to the rear Feedthru. This makes that rear Feedthru an Input, and the front panel Feedthru would be an Output, but you don't say where the front Feedthru is going and your pic shows nothing connected.

If the Tuner Output is indeed going to the GCX rear panel Feedthru, then the font panel Feedthru should be what feeds the Wah (or the Patch Panel Wah Send). The Output of the Wah (or the Patch Panel Wah Return) should go to the Input of the Triaxis. G-Force is in the Triaxis FX Loop so no other GCX connections are being used that I can see.

You say there are no pedals so I am unsure what Loop 8 is doing in this setup at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

Ok John,

I've wired the GCX the same as i did in my last rack... Rear panel feed through, then rear panel output to the next unit. In my last rack i had a G-Major wired into 2 GCX loops in stereo, then loop 8 output to the next unit. Only difference this time is there's nothing in any of the GCX loops... yet ;-)

I'll be adding pedals soon, but just wanted to wire it all up ready. Even though i have no pedals in the GCX, with all loops bypassed the signal should feed through to the last loop 8 output, right?

Just to reiterate, it worked the other day....... I had the Korg plugged into the rear panel feed thru, then a cable plugged into loop 8 output.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:18 pm 

Are you routing the signal in and out of each GCX Loop? The loops are not normalled so unless you are wiring them together in series there is no way for a signal to pass thru to the Loop 8 Out. Basically, you can certainly use Loop 8 Out, but what is connected to Loop 8 In?

Your guitar signal (after the tuner) goes to the rear panel Feedthru... then where does it go? You have to be using the front panel Feedthru, Guitar In, Guitar Out somewhere here to get the signal to go any further.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 am 

I tried that John, and obviously it worked.

I've also just had a brain fart and remembered that because the Front panel Guitar In jack is a buffered feed thru to the Guitar Out on the Rear panel, and also normals to the Feed Thru jacks on both front and rear I can do this:

Korg rear output > GCX Rear Panel Guitar Out
GCX rear panel feed thru > loop 1 in
GCX rear panel loop 1 out to rack patch panel wah send jack socket

I haven't tried it yet as i'm at work.... But I remember that was how i did it in my last rack. Confused from Suffolk ;) :?

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:27 pm 

John, I have a problem that I know you'll be able to help with between the Triaxis and the G-Force.

I have the G-Force going through the TriAxis FX loop.

Wired as follows:

TriAxis FX send > G-Force Left in
G-Force left output > TriAxis FX return A
G-Force right output > TriAxis FX return B

On the Triaxis when the FX loop is on i only hear the left channel, when the FX loop is off I only hear the right channel.

I'm at a loss.... And can't figure out why when i page through the SW/Loop settings on the TriAxis the above happens.

I have it wired in series at the moment, bypassing the FX loop altogether and it's working beautifully.... I'd really like to use the FX loop as the clarity of the G-Force is better it being a digital unit.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm 

I'm not too sure why you only get one side when the FX loop is bypassed, but with it on getting only one side might be a G-Force setting you need to change.

On the G-Force press the I/O Setup button then tab right over to the Audio settings. The Source should be set to Analog, the Input should be set to Left Only, and the Kill Dry should be Off.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:26 am 

Right, I've checked my settings and they are correct. Kill dry is OFF.

I have noticed that the output volume knob for one channel is very very scratchy.... to the point of useless. However this doesn't seem to be an issue when the G-Force is wired in series out of the loop. I think maybe a replacement pot will be required before I go any further.

Second to that... As the TriAxis is used, it could probably do with a service....... Only thing is, I'm sh*t scared of the cost!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Andy

David Gilmour