It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with my GCP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 am 

Hi. I'm using my GCP with a GCX and a G-Major 2. I have it set up as the 4 presets and 8 instant access config...

I have sacrificed loop 8 and am instead using button 8 to send a CC command.. which turns Noise Gate on my G-Major on or off..

Now I have read the manual, and either I am not understanding it properly, or it's not working properly.

I have taken pics...

See how I have set button 8 to send CC 2 on Channel 1. I have confirmed that it does indeed turn the gate on and off on the G-Major.

Attachment:
File comment: Confirming Button 8 is set to send CC 2 to CH 1
GCP-1.jpg
GCP-1.jpg [ 140.27 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

I have also set button 8 to be Transmit with Preset. This according to the manual will send the midi device it's status when preset is switched to. But it's not working..

Attachment:
File comment: Set to X-MIT W/PRESET
GCP-2.jpg
GCP-2.jpg [ 131.29 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

If I have preset 1 on, and I switch number 8 on, and then goto preset 2, 8 turns off... turning the gate off as well (confirming the Transmit with preset is working)... I thought 8 was suppose to stay on when I switched? I could only add 3 attachments, so see next post for pic.

Attachment:
File comment: Preset 1 Chosen, with 8 manually turned on
GCP-3.jpg
GCP-3.jpg [ 130.84 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

I also tried to set my presets to have 8 turned on, but that doesn't work... I save it as being on for GCX-1 but even though it remembers that I saved it when I go back into edit it... it always switches off when I go to preset... I guess cause it's not set to control a GCX.

So, am I doing something wrong? Or am I misunderstanding it? Or is it broken?

The other thing I want to do in the future is get a second small midi controller to send commands to midi devices but not have to change my GCX preset... That meaning I could use that to switch it on or off, and not waste a GCX loop. Can you have two controllers using the Midi-In/Out controlling the same devices? So new controller, into GCP, into GCX and G-Major. I would say yes because you are simply sending a command on a channel.

Cheers

Last edited by Garf on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Problem with my GCP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:50 am 

Picture of preset 2 just selected, button 8 got turned off automatically.:

Attachment:
GCP-4.jpg
GCP-4.jpg [ 123.8 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 am 

In preset number 2, BOOST... when you step on button 8, does it engage the noise gate on that preset??

It needs to be programmed in each preset to be on. So each preset must have button 8 set up to control the noise gate, or it won't work. Check in preset 2, if button 8 turns on the noise gate, then just edit that preset to store it. If it doesn't turn on the gate, check to make sure that button 8 is set as a CC and not a GCX button in that preset

Andy

David Gilmour

Last edited by bettsaj on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 am 

bettsaj is on it!

The Transmit with Preset setting means that it will send an On or Off message depending on how this button is saved with the Ground Contro Pro preset. So if you want the preset to also turn on the Noise Gate, you need to save this preset with Button 8 Active.

However, I believe this isn't really what you are looking for. Most likely, when you recall this Ground Control Pro preset it is already recalling a G-Major numbered patch that has the Noise Gate enabled. You probably will need to turn the Transmit With Preset function off (set it back to "Normal") and program just the state of this Instant access button LED to match the G-Major numbered patch. So if you have multiple Ground Control Pro presets that are recalling G-Major patches with the Noise Gate activated, you will need to go to each of these Ground Control Pro presets and turn on Instant Access button #8, then go into the Preset Edit mode and save the preset.

For Ground Control Pro presets that you want to change only the named MIDI devices, but not the GCX, simply disable the GCX on that preset. When you are in the Preset Edit mode, go to the "GCX-1" screen then press the NO button. The screen should now show "(GCX-1)" meaning this preset will now no longer update the GCX when it is recalled.

p.s. You can still use GCX Loop 8 on your Ground Control Pro presets (well the ones that don't have the GCX disabled ;) ), you just no longer have an Instant Access button dedicated to that loop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
bettsaj is on it!

The Transmit with Preset setting means that it will send an On or Off message depending on how this button is saved with the Ground Contro Pro preset. So if you want the preset to also turn on the Noise Gate, you need to save this preset with Button 8 Active.

I have tried this... Setting GCX-1 to have 3, 5, 7 and 8 turned on (3 being my amp foot switch OD, 5 being an EQ, 7 being my other gate which I will be getting rid of, and 8 being the CC command). When I go to edit both presets 1 and 2, I have the following options to set:

- G-Major
- GCX-1
- Exp Pedal 1
- Name of Preset

So the only place I can turn 8 on is on GCX-1, which makes no sense, since I have said for it not to control GCX-1... which I have tried.. but it simply reverts to off when i change preset. I think I mentioned it in my original post... I also tried this when it was set to normal. I am 100% happy with it being set to on or off with the preset, but I just can't get it to engage. When I had it set to normal... the 8 button was off, but the gate was on. I switched 8 on, the gate remained on (as expected) then turning 8 off again turned the gate off.

Maybe I missed something. I'll go back and have another try.

JohnClark wrote:
p.s. You can still use GCX Loop 8 on your Ground Control Pro presets (well the ones that don't have the GCX disabled ;) ), you just no longer have an Instant Access button dedicated to that loop.

Yeah I gathered this...

Thanks both of you for the replies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:30 pm 

Just tried again... nup... even when setting it back to normal... and setting 8 to be on... I can't get it to go on when I change to the preset... I might make a video to demonstrate...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm 

See video of 8 not staying on even when it is set as a preset here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AOn5uodq8

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:48 pm 

What your video shows me is that I haven't given the best directions here! :oops: However, what you are doing there is actually an example of how you didn't really sacrifice the use of GCX Loop 8 when you reprogrammed the Instant access button to do something else. When you are in the preset edit mode and see the "GCX-1" screen you are actually programming which combination of GCX Loops will activate with this preset. You should see GCX Loop 8 come on on your GCX when you recall the presets you programmed in the video.

Since you have set Instant access button 8 to control the Noise Gate on your G-Major, the programming for what you want is done as follows:
1. Recall the Ground Control Pro preset sets the G-Major to a patch that has the Noise Gate enabled.
2. Press Instant access button 8 so its LED matches the active state of the Noise Gate.
3. Press and hold the Edit button on the Ground Control Pro to go into the Preset Edit mode.
4. Once the screen changes release the Edit button.
5. Press the Edit button again to exit, then press the Yes button to Save the change.

Try that out and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 pm 

Thank you! This works...

And yes, I figured I might not have been clear... hence the video was a good idea.

Also, I now understand the difference between sacrificing a GCX loop and sacrificing a GCP Instant access Button :) Of which I have done neither, I'm just telling the instant access to do something different..

Thanks for the help.