It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCX + GCP use question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:41 pm 

I just purchased a GCP and a couple of GCXs. I suspect, my intention is different than many users. I'm just a home player with a ton of gear and my hope is that I can, basically, use the GCP as a remote control for a load of pedals.

I got everything connected. The GCP and the GCXs are talking but I can't seem to use it as I expected.

I would like to be able to have a switch that would activate a specific loop - for each of the GCXs. Is this not possible?

It seems that to have the switches work in this fashion you have to use 'instant access' mode and it seems that you can only have 8 instant access switches set up.

I was hoping that I would be able to 'page' through sets of 'instant access' switches. ie, one bank has switches 1 - 8 control loops 1 - 8 on GCX 1 and another bank controls loops 1 - 8 on GCX 2.

I'm really hoping that this is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: GCX + GCP use question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm 

You can sort of by creating presets which only have 1 pedal on at a time, then your favourite 4 as instant on's or presets with groups of pedals etc and your 4 favourites as instant on. There are still heaps of options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 am 

That is in my opinion the only drawback with the ground control..... I think there should be an expansion board, similar to the old Bradshaw RS10 expansion board. Either that, or bring out a second, bigger ground control that allows 16 IA buttons, and 8 preset buttons..... i'm sure there's a market for it, as CAE is making boards with up to 40 IA buttons...... The Bradshaw units are very expensive, anything from $799 for a small 8 button board right upto a collosal $1999 for the full monty 40 button board so i think that if voodoo lab brought out a board with say 16 IA and 8 preset buttons it would be a more attractive solution than paying top dollar for a custom board by CAE.... I for one would buy one in a heart beat as I would like IA buttons for not only the GCX switches, but also a lot of my G-Force effect blocks too.

I believe you can link 2 ground controls together, but not sure how that would work with your intended use....

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 am 

I'm disappointed to learn this. I don't really need a ton more buttons. I'd be happy to just be able to have multiple banks of IA buttons.

I realize that I can create presets for any combinations needed but it sure would be nice to be able to try out combinations of things without having to create a preset.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am 

If you go into the Preset Edit mode you can select each GCX separately and have the Instant Access buttons select loops on the GCX shown on the screen like banks.

1. Recall a preset on the Ground Control Pro.
2. Press and hold the Edit button.
3. Press the Bank Down button repeatedly until the screen reads "GCX-1".
4. At this screen the Instant Access buttons will control the loops on the first GCX.
5. Press the Bank Down button to get to "GCX-2".
6. At this screen the Instant access buttons will control the loops on the second GCX.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am 

See.... I knew John would chip in with the answer ;-)

However, obviously doing it this way you are effectively going into edit mode.... You can't actually select IA buttons on "on the fly" without actually going into edit mode. It's probably not ideal if you're trying to do it in the middle of a song even at in a rehearsal situation, you could accidentally change one of your presets if you press the wrong buttons.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 pm 

bettsaj wrote:
See.... I knew John would chip in with the answer ;-)

However, obviously doing it this way you are effectively going into edit mode.... You can't actually select IA buttons on "on the fly" without actually going into edit mode. It's probably not ideal if you're trying to do it in the middle of a song even at in a rehearsal situation, you could accidentally change one of your presets if you press the wrong buttons.

So start out on a preset intended for this use... accidental saving be damned! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am 

Thanks John! I hadn't considered that option. That does accomplish my goal of 'trying out' combinations of things.