It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCP and GCX with 2 combo amps, rack effects and pedals
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 am 

Hello, all! I'm so glad this forum exists...
I've just gotten a gcp and gcx with the idea that I'll run my 2 amps in an ABY from it.
I need help figuring out how to cable it up, trying to imagine the path and what cables to buy is making my head hurt :)

I want amp A to be clean (usually) and amp B to be dirty, each has its own rack multieffect

I'd like to use 2 volume pedals - one for each amp- for blending them

I envision the volume pedals in the gcp pedal jacks with insert point cables

I'd like to have presets that: 1) clean only with particular rack patches selected, 2) dirt only with particular rack effects, 3) both amps, one clean ~ one dirty, 4) both dirty

So, I'm looking for the gcp/gcx to do channel switching on both amps along with midi effect selecting

Anyone have thoughts on how to hook this up?

Post subject: Re: GCP and GCX with 2 combo amps, rack effects and pedals
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am 

What are the amps, and what are the effects you will be using?

A/B/Y switching of the amplifier inputs is shown in the GCX manual in the Combining Multiple Amps section under Audio Loops. Here are the basic connections to do this. You can use any two GCX Loops for this so I will use the generic "Loop A" and "Loop B" to describe the connections.
1. Guitar to GCX Guitar In.
2. GCX Guitar Out to GCX Loop A In.
3. GCX rear panel Feedtru to GCX Loop B In.
4. GCX Loop A Out to Amp #A instrument Input.
5. GCX Loop B Out to Amp #B instrument Input.
When a Loop is On you will hear that amp. These two Loops will give you your amp A/B/Y (or Mute if they are both off).

Controlling the Volume via MIDI using the Ground Control Pro Pedal Ports will require MIDI capable device(s) in the rig... this most likely can be done on the rack effects (if they will always be active), unless you amps are directly MIDI controllable.

Amp channel switching can also be done via MIDI if your amps are directly MIDI controllable or we may be able to perform these functions with the GCX if you ramps use 1/4" jacks for the switching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm 

I'm using a peavey classic 50 410 and a peavey 5150 212.

My idea is to use the classic 50 for (mostly) cleans and the 5150 for dirty and Very dirty.

I'm using an old Roland gp8 in the effects loop of the classic 50 and a rocktron replifex in the 5150's loop.

I have a crybaby and 2 separate volume pedals.

Thanks for your reply, it's been helpful. The manual says I can go from the gcx to the amps from the send but your answer says I should use the out. Your suggestion worked and the send option did not.

What I'd like is to have sounds that are clean only (classic 50), crunch only (5150), lead only (5150), or both (Y); additionally dirty classic 50 alone or combined with crunch 5150 or lead 5150.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 am 

Heh oops! It should be the Sends, not the Outs... either way should work, its just that you will likely want the Loop On to hear the Amp. :oops: (I've edited my first post to keep it from being used out of context as a sample for others) If you use the Sends, Loop On will feed signal to the amp. If you use the Outs, Loop Off will send signal to the amp.

The Classic 50 switching for Channel and Reverb can be controlled with two unused GCX Loops. It requires an Insert Point Cable with the TRS end going to the amp's Footswitch jack and the two TS ends going to the Outs of the GCX Loops. One Loop will switch the amp Channel, the other will switch the Reverb on and Off.
The 5150 (if its not a 5150 II) works the same way using an Insert Point Cable except that one loop will switch the amp Channels and the other will turn the FX Loop on and off. The Channel switching is done on the Ring of the TRS jack so controlling only the Channel wold need a custom cable.

If you will be using GCX loops to bypass the effects in the amp loops then it would be as simple as running the FX Send to the In of a GCX Loop, put the processor in the Send and Return of that GCX Loop, then take the GCX Loop Out to the amp FX Return. Otherwise you can connect the processors directly to the amplifiers, or put the GP-8 in a GCX Loop to bypass it when necessary but connect the Replifex directly to the 5150 and use its FX Loop on/off function switching as shown above.

I'd run the wah directly after the guitar with the wah output running to the GCX Guitar In. The Volume pedals are something you'll likely want to pay with the placement, in front of the amps or in their effects loops. (if you use the GCX to control the 5150 effects loop bypass, you will remove the volume pedal when the FX Loop is switched off)
Do you have a preference for where you normally like to run the volume pedals?

Let us know if you run into any troubles!