It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: providing phantom power from HEX to Control Switcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm 

Hi John!

Since the manual of Control Switcher only mentions providing power to GCP/Commander via its MIDI in, I would like to know whether Control Switcher itself can be powered via MIDI through it's MIDI in from e.g. HEX.

The overall MIDI signal path looks like this:
From Commander via MIDI out to HEX's MIDI in, then from HEX's MIDI out to MIDI in of Control Switcher.

Ideally, I would like to supply power to HEX inside the rack and have HEX distribute phantom power to Commander and Control Switcher. That way I can mount Control Switcher inside the amp and only have to disconnect/connect the two MIDI cables connecting to HEX when I move the entire rig.

So, can I power all of this from a single point (the HEX) or is there no other way than to provide power to Control Switcher via a 9V adaptor?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nep on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: providing phantom power from HEX to Control Switcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 pm 

You could power both the Control Switcher and the Commander from HEX if the Control Switcher were routed between Commander and HEX.

Commander -> Control Switcher -> HEX

Inside Control Switcher there are a pair of jumpers that will need to be moved to allow Phantom Power Thru. These are found just behind the MIDI jacks. Lift the jumpers from the pins marked "OFF" and place them on the pins marked "On".

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply!

That option looks good. Whether the MIDI cable from Commander goes towards the amp or the rack does not really matter to me as long as I can reduce the amount of additional flimsy power cables running in between everything.

So thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 pm 

Right on!

I should add that you'll need to be sure to provide enough current to HEX to power all three devices. If you are using a Pedal Power ISO-5, Digital, 4x4, or Mondo you will want to use one of the 9V 400mA outputs. If you are using a Pedal Power 2+ you will want to use output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

Good Luck!