It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GCX with Pedal Switcher? Better alternatives?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm 

Hi chaps,

Currently, I own a GCP and GCX which are both working well. However, there are a few pedals I'd like to implement into my rig but I would really need access to their switches (tap tempo on delays, volume pedal, looper etc.)

I was wondering what a good method would be to avoid having to run 12ft+ cables out of each send + return to my pedalboard for each individual pedal on my board. I was thinking a Pedal Switcher into a GCX loop and then the pedals on my board into the Pedal Switcher would potentially do the trick but it doesn't seem like the most elegant solution, especially in terms of routing my pedals on the board in conjunction with the effects in the rack with the GCX in the desired order. I get the feeling it's either 12ft+ cables or no pedalboard but I thought I'd post just in case my little brain couldn't work it out.

Any help would be much appreciated!

--Cheers

Post subject: Re: GCX with Pedal Switcher? Better alternatives?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 pm 

Pedal Switcher or HEX would work fine to have some loops out on the floor. The Ground Control Pro will treat either one as if it were another GCX.

You wouldn't need to put the switcher in a GCX Loop, but you would need to route the signal out to the floor and back once. Are the "floor pedals" mostly routed together or will they be peppered throughout the signal path?

Of course any pedals that are directly MIDI controllable can be controlled by the Ground Control Pro... or some pedals have switching jacks like for a mechanical switch for Tap Tempo that can be controlled remotely by the GCX or Control Switcher.

Let us know what you running!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
Pedal Switcher or HEX would work fine to have some loops out on the floor. The Ground Control Pro will treat either one as if it were another GCX.

You wouldn't need to put the switcher in a GCX Loop, but you would need to route the signal out to the floor and back once. Are the "floor pedals" mostly routed together or will they be peppered throughout the signal path?

Of course any pedals that are directly MIDI controllable can be controlled by the Ground Control Pro... or some pedals have switching jacks like for a mechanical switch for Tap Tempo that can be controlled remotely by the GCX or Control Switcher.

Let us know what you running!

The pedals I'd like to use on the board that will be in sequence are an Ernie Ball MVP volume pedal, Strymon El Capistan/TC Alter Ego X4 (either or but not both), and potentially a Strymon Big Sky, in that order. I do like to use a TC ditto looper on my board but that goes at the very end of the signal path before I go back to the effects return on my amp. Currently, a TC G-major 2 for some chorus and delays would sit in-between the pedals on the board and the looper.

In the near future I do plan on replacing the chorus from the G-major 2 with a dedicated pedal (wouldn't need access to it - it would just be on/off) most likely after the volume pedal but before the delay and reverb. Also, in-case it affects anything I do, finally, intend on splitting the signal into stereo at the reverb pedal.

The really two important things to me are avoiding long cables runs with the looper in the right spot at the end of the chain and access to the tap tempo on the delay pedal.

I hope that makes sense! As always, Thanks for the help!

--Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:02 pm 

Well I guess it is really all in getting the Ditto after the G-Major that is causing most of the issue here since the G-Major is in the rack.

So the signal path at this point is as follows?

FX Send -> Volume Pedal -> Delay -> BigSky -> G-Major 2 -> Ditto -> FX Return

Maybe you could just bring the G-Major out to the floor so at least its just one run out and back. ;)

A switcher isn't really going to be much help here, particularly if this will later be routed for stereo use.
Which Ditto do you have? Only the X2 and X4 models will do stereo. If that too will be replaced, maybe there is a MIDI capable Looper that can just stay in the rack? The BigSky is fully MIDI capable so it too can go in the rack in that case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:07 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Well I guess it is really all in getting the Ditto after the G-Major that is causing most of the issue here since the G-Major is in the rack.

So the signal path at this point is as follows?

FX Send -> Volume Pedal -> Delay -> BigSky -> G-Major 2 -> Ditto -> FX Return

Maybe you could just bring the G-Major out to the floor so at least its just one run out and back. ;)

A switcher isn't really going to be much help here, particularly if this will later be routed for stereo use.
Which Ditto do you have? Only the X2 and X4 models will do stereo. If that too will be replaced, maybe there is a MIDI capable Looper that can just stay in the rack? The BigSky is fully MIDI capable so it too can go in the rack in that case.

Very close, the plan is to go:

FX send -> Volume Pedal -> G-Major 2 -> El Capistan/Alter Ego X4 -> Big Sky -> Ditto -> FX return

The G-Major 2 is primarily earlier in the chain due to using some mild chorus on it, which I prefer before any delay and reverb. but I do plan to buy a dedicated chorus pedal eventually and then purely use the G-Major 2 for some additional delays and effects like pitch shifting and harmonizers, in between the chorus pedal and Big Sky.

I have pre-gain pedals in the GCX, such as a compressor, tube screamer, and an EQ pedal, which just sit in a pedal drawer as they are switched in and out on various presets.

I might have to do a little more thinking to see exactly what pedal I want where in the chain but I know for sure I would prefer the volume pedal, delay pedal, and a looper on the board for access but would really prefer them to be in separate loops for flexibility.