It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground Control pro LED's out of position.. Slightly
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:10 pm 

This is probably something John Clarke can answer...

I've purchased a second hand GCP.. Everything is excellent and working fine, apart from the LED's for buttons 1 thru 4 are slightly out of position, which means when you're standing at the pedal board, it's a little hard to tell whether an effect is on of off... if you crane across the board and look slightly from the back, or directly above the LED you can see it. I suspect the previous owner had it apart at some time, and didn't put it back properly... (Dan Hawkins, i know where you live LOL)

I don't think it needs to be sent back to voodoo Lab for attention, hopefully it might just be a case of opening the case, and having a little fiddle with the LED's. Are they board mounted? If so, they might just need bending slightly, so the are where they should be.

Can you advise john, and if so, how do you open the case. i'm not technically an idiot, but don't want to start undoing screws if they're holding the board in place, etc.

David Gilmour

Post subject: Re: Ground Control pro LED's out of position.. Slightly
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:35 pm 

What a bummer... but it should be quite easy to fix.

You will need to remove the bottom cover to get to the board with the LEDs. This means you will need to remove the four screws on the top (7/64" Allen) and the six chassis screws from the bottom (#2 Phillips) to get the cover off. Once that is off you can try to get to the LEDs from the sides, or you may find it easier to remove the whole switch/LED board.

Let us know if you get stuck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 am 

Thanks John... I wasn't sure whether or not those screws held the PCB, or not. i didn't want to go removing screws only to find the PCB was being held by them.

Following another look, it would appear that it's really only LED's 1 & 2. 3 & 4 are not too bad to be honest, but 1 & 2 are not really visible unless you crane your neck over the board so your're either looking directly down at them or slightly from the back. It would appear a slight tweak is required.

How are the LED's held in...... Are they board mounted, so maybe just need a slight tweak with some needle nose pliers?

As an aside to this, I've noticed that the BANK UP button may need replacing at some time. Although it's working fine, I've noticed a slight resistance when depressing it, like it catches on something when you push it in. Can these easily be replaced?

This board was used by Dan Hawkins of the band The Darkness, it was used on tour for years as the off stage board by his tech. So you could say it's seen some use and abuse.... When i bought it from his tech, he advised me that the board was one of 2 they had, the stage board, and the tech board. The stage board used by Dan was beaten up, and quite frankly was un-salable. The tech board, as it was used by his tech off stage wasn't abused and in all fairness, is in good condition considering it's one of the original Digital Music Corp boards.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:46 am 

Sorry... I figured opening up and seeing inside would be your best bet at knowing whats happening inside ;)

The LEDs are mounted to the PCB with a plastic standoff to bring them up to the height of the chassis top. They are easily manipulated once you can get to them.

A sticking switch actuator can likely be cleaned, but you can order replacements if you would like by giving us a call or writing to info@voodoolab.com.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 am 

Sorry John.... I'm being lazy :lol:

I've opened it up, and the LED's are now sorted :D

i'll see how the button goes, as I said it's working fine so i'll spray it with some switch cleaner, which might help.

David Gilmour