It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio interference through GCX loops
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:35 pm 

I'm getting a ton of radio interference through the loops on my GCX. I'm running all 8 loops. Everything being powered from a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. With no loops on my rig is silent. When I turn on certain loops I get radio sounds coming through my amp. 5 of the 8 loops are individually giving me radio signal to different degrees. I built and tested all the cables which I've done for years.

Post subject: Re: Radio interference through GCX loops
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:35 pm 

Just wanted to follow up. At my studio troubleshooting some more. With all of the loops off I don't hear any radio signal (even if I crank the volume way up). I was mistaken previously however. I hear radio on 7 of the loops. A couple very softly. Some Very loud. In most cases if I turn the pedals off (not the loop) the radio signal goes away.

Some of the pedals that only give me radio when they're ON - TS808HW, Suhr Rufus, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe...

I have a Digitech Synth Wah that works the other way. Radio when it's off and No radio when it's on.

All of these pedals are coming in the front end of my amp.

I have a TC Electronics HOF in loop 8 which is going through the FX loop on the amp. This one doesn't give me any issues.

I'm using Canare GS6 cable throughout.

I'm coming from the guitar to the rear feed thru. Out the feed thru on the front to the guitar input. Out the guitar output on the back of GCX. Through a Digitech Whammy. Through the first 7 loops. Through a Strymon Mobius. To the amp.

The whole setup is really quiet even on a high gain channel. No hum or buzz. Whammy and Mobius also work perfect and introduce NO noise.

This rack is an updated version of a rack I build previously. Wanted to change some things around. I Built / tested / rehearsed with the old rack in the same location using the same plug on the wall. Using the same type of cables. Same GCX unit. Same amp and guitars. I didn't encounter any of the issues before

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 am 

It would be pretty incredible for the GCX itself to pick up radio interference. This is almost always caused by a fuzz or overdrive. I would hazard that one of these pedals is the main culprit and others are simply amplifying the radio noise. Check that the shields on your cables are intact, and perhaps check that the pedals have a solid chassis ground connection if possible.

Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

I was trouble shooting some more. I know it has to be coming from a pedal or cable.

Example: If I had loop 6 on by itself. Would it be possible to get interference from another pedal or cable in another loop that wasn't active? Yet still hear this interference in loop 6 when it's the only one currently on.

On another note. A ferrite bead placed in the right spot should have some effect with a problem like this. Would this have some on the tone?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:51 pm 

I suppose that is possible. The noise is coupling to the audio path at some point, but it would be present everywhere after that point... if that makes sense. Adding any gain type pedal afterwards will amplify the noise that is already there.

If you enable one loop (Loop 6 for example) and hear the radio noise, start unplugging the pedals from the bypassed loops to see if the noise stays or disappears. This should help to narrow down exactly which pedal/cable combination is making for a good antenna.

I hope that helps!