It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using Control Switcher with Mesa MKIV Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:36 am 

I am planning on using a musicomlab Efx 62M loop switcher to send midi signals to a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher to switch all 3 channels and the effects loop on my Mesa MKIV B head. to reduce cable bulk from the switcher to the amp (avoid 4 cable method), I am thinking of making an interface cable using a 20ft 5-pin midi cable and adding a 6 pin mini xlr on the other end to plug into the factory fu-3 footswitch din plug on the mesa head. Has anyone done something similar and will it work? Does anyone have a diagram of the pinouts for the 6 pin mini XLR(Mesa)end of the cable?

Post subject: Re: Using Control Switcher with Mesa MKIV Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 am 

We usually go with connecting to the amp via the 1/4" External Switching jacks.

Also, I don't have a reliable diagram of the Mesa footswitch jack, but often the channel switching is done on a single pin and requires some extra attention beyond just a simple connection between the two devices.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm 

Thanks for the reply John, if i make a cable to use the 5-pin multi connector output of the control switcher and channel switching inserts of the amp, do you have a wiring diagram that shows me how to terminate the 1/4" ends?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:28 pm 

No diagram of the cable but the Multi Jack pins are shown in the Control Switcher manual. The cable would simply have Pins 1, 3, 4, and 5 each connected to its own 1/4" Tip. Pin 2 would be the common connected to all four 1/4" sleeves.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am 

Hi John,

I have made a snake cable, 5 pin midi on control switcher multi end to 4 1/4 TS connectors on the external switching jacks end of the Mesa MK IV. It is wired according to your instructions in the last post. When I tested the control switcher(after setting the switch configure to latching) I am having trouble.
If I just have 1/4" cable #1 connected to the clean channel insert (ch.1 of mesa) and manually trigger switch 1 of the control switcher the channel works correctly. As soon as I connect another channel switching insert cable, say cable #2 to channel 2 (ch.2 )it affects the switching function even if switch #2 is off on the control switcher. I have checked continuity of the snake cable and everything checks out (tips of 1/4 TS ends to pins 1,3,4,5 and sleeves to pin 2 ground) any ideas what might be the cause?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 am 

You say cable #1 works when by it self, but do each of the other cable ends work the same way when used individually?

Did you check for shorts across the plugs?