GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Post Reply
1meanplexi
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by 1meanplexi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Hello.

I would like to thank all of you for the information provided in this forum. I am new to using these two devices. I have some questions.

My amp is a Marshall JMP with an effects loop. What I am looking for assistance on is the signal chain. I know the basic connections in regards to stomp box's through the GCX. Here is where it goes south...

Guitar> volume pedal/tuner. These two are integrated together.
Volume Pedal> Whammy Pedal.
Whammy pedal out to GCX (where?)
Out of the GCX to the Marshall input (where?)

The pedals that will be in a rack tray are the ones that would serve as "out front".
Boss SD-1, Maxon OD, Suhr KoKo Boost,

I have a Decimator prorack G. How is this connected to the GCX? I have a Boss Giga Delay, Clean Boost, Ibanez Flanger and Chorus pedals that I want to run into the loop of the Marshall while of course utilizing the GCX for all of this. If anyone has a diagram they could provide? That would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

JohnClark
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by JohnClark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Your basic connections would be not too different from this example...

http://voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01-Ped ... _AmpSw.pdf

The main differences for you would be that your guitar hits the Volume and Whammy first then the Out of your Whammy would go to the GCX Guitar In. Loops 1-4 are switching the front end effects before hitting the front end of the amp, but you will likely only need three loops. Loops 5 and 6 are switching the FX Loop effects, but you will likely use four loops. I don't believe you will be doing any channel switching so you can ignore the channel switching in that example.

Now for the Decimator... where do you want it routed in the signal path? Do you use it as two separate gates or with Channel 1 reading the dry guitar signal, and Channel 2 does the actual gating in the FX Loop?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
Image
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

1meanplexi
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by 1meanplexi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:13 pm

JohnClark wrote:Your basic connections would be not too different from this example...

http://voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01-Ped ... _AmpSw.pdf

The main differences for you would be that your guitar hits the Volume and Whammy first then the Out of your Whammy would go to the GCX Guitar In. Loops 1-4 are switching the front end effects before hitting the front end of the amp, but you will likely only need three loops. Loops 5 and 6 are switching the FX Loop effects, but you will likely use four loops. I don't believe you will be doing any channel switching so you can ignore the channel switching in that example.

Now for the Decimator... where do you want it routed in the signal path? Do you use it as two separate gates or with Channel 1 reading the dry guitar signal, and Channel 2 does the actual gating in the FX Loop?
Man you are good. Yes. I would like to use the decimator as you described. Two separate gates. Front tracking the pedals and the other for the effects loop.

1meanplexi
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by 1meanplexi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 am

Ok....So i got it all connected and well...it works. I ended up using a loop for channel 2 of the decimator. It is in the loop of the amp so upon discovery I realized I can assign that particular channel of the decimator when needed and not have it serve as a full time effect.

I have all 8 loops used. Since I designated a loop to the decimator, I had to sacrifice my flanger/pedal. Is there a way to now connect the flanger to the GCX? Y cable? Thanks again for your answers.

JohnClark
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by JohnClark » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

I think you lost me... so all eight loops are being used? If so then you can route the flanger in wherever you would like, it's just not going to be turned on/off by the GCX unless it is in a loop.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
Image
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

MJX
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 am

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by MJX » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am

What if I want to run a Volume Pedal plugged into the Ground Control but at the START of the FX loop of my amp? Using the previous link as an example, can the volume/expression pedal be programmed to engage between loops 4 & 5? That way the volume swells are post-gain, but pre-time FX?

I imagine this is possible, but I haven't seen this specific setup outlined in any manuals, threads, etc.

JohnClark
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by JohnClark » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 am

MJX wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am
What if I want to run a Volume Pedal plugged into the Ground Control but at the START of the FX loop of my amp? Using the previous link as an example, can the volume/expression pedal be programmed to engage between loops 4 & 5? That way the volume swells are post-gain, but pre-time FX?

I imagine this is possible, but I haven't seen this specific setup outlined in any manuals, threads, etc.
The Ground Control Pro Expression Pedal Ports are for controlling a MIDI Device that accepts Expression type control. The Ground Control Pro accepts a standard guitar Volume Pedal for this task since its likely what a guitar player might already have but it does not itself control any of the audio path.

I assume you have the GCX in this setup but it does not process any expression control. What other MIDI gear, if any, will also be in this rig?

If you have no need for a MIDI expression control, I would suggest simply routing the volume pedal directly into the audio path where you want it.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
Image
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

MJX
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 am

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by MJX » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

JohnClark wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 am
MJX wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am
What if I want to run a Volume Pedal plugged into the Ground Control but at the START of the FX loop of my amp? Using the previous link as an example, can the volume/expression pedal be programmed to engage between loops 4 & 5? That way the volume swells are post-gain, but pre-time FX?

I imagine this is possible, but I haven't seen this specific setup outlined in any manuals, threads, etc.
The Ground Control Pro Expression Pedal Ports are for controlling a MIDI Device that accepts Expression type control. The Ground Control Pro accepts a standard guitar Volume Pedal for this task since its likely what a guitar player might already have but it does not itself control any of the audio path.

I assume you have the GCX in this setup but it does not process any expression control. What other MIDI gear, if any, will also be in this rig?

If you have no need for a MIDI expression control, I would suggest simply routing the volume pedal directly into the audio path where you want it.
Hi John,

I must apologize as I posed the question before reading the manuals. I will also be using a TC Gmajor2. More importantly, I will be using my volume pedal's "Tuner Out" jack. I love that the Ground Control's expression port can use my volume pedal and convert the movement to MIDI data. Using the expression port, however, I fear that this means theres no audio signal going to the volume pedal, which means my tuner out won't work. I'm guessing for the tuner out to work I will have to run the 50ft round-trip of cable for the FX loop to have the volume pedal inline, which is kind of a bummer. Not the end of the world tho &shrug;

JohnClark
Posts: 7401
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: GCX and Ground Control. Connections.

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am

MJX wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm
Hi John,

I must apologize as I posed the question before reading the manuals. I will also be using a TC Gmajor2. More importantly, I will be using my volume pedal's "Tuner Out" jack. I love that the Ground Control's expression port can use my volume pedal and convert the movement to MIDI data. Using the expression port, however, I fear that this means theres no audio signal going to the volume pedal, which means my tuner out won't work. I'm guessing for the tuner out to work I will have to run the 50ft round-trip of cable for the FX loop to have the volume pedal inline, which is kind of a bummer. Not the end of the world tho &shrug;
No problemo! You could use the volume pedal as an MIDI Expression to control parameters on your G-Major2 including Rig Volume. This would keep you from having to run your audio thru so much cable.

For the tuner, you could use the buffered split in the GCX. For instance, connect your Guitar to the GCX Guitar In and the GCX will split your signal to the rear panel Guitar Out and Feedthru jacks. The Guitar Out would feed to your first front end effect (probably in GCX Loop 1) and the Feedthru could have a single long cable out to the floor to drive the tuner. This would keep the tuner, and its long cable run, completely out of your actual signal path.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
Image
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Post Reply