It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PX8P setup help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:57 am 

I just purchased the Dingbat (Lg) pedal board with Mondo power supply and the PX8P. Here are the pedals I will be using:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Dunlop Wah
Fulltone OCD
TC Polytune 3
TC Hall Of Fame 2 Reverb
TC Chorus
TC Flashback Delay

My main question is, how do I connect to the PX8P and run my Reverb, Chorus and Delay through my amps Effects Loop? I want my Wah and OD to go through the main input on the amp. Also, any suggestions on the location in the chain of pedals would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: PX8P setup help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 pm 

I would use loops 7 and 8 for your front end effects, and loops 1-6 for your FX loop effects.

Personally, I suppose I would start with the following...
1. Guitar -> Polytune 3 -> Wah -> PX-8 Plus Insert Return.
2. OCD in PX-8 Plus Loop 7.
3. PX-8 Plus Output to Instrument Input on your amp.
4. FX Send on your amp to Input on your Volume Pedal.
5. Output of your Volume Pedal to PX-8 Plus Input.
6. Chorus in PX-8 Plus Loop 1.
7. Flashback in PX-8 Plus Loop 2.
8. Hall of Fame in PX-8 Plus Loop 3.
9. Insert Send on PX-8 Plus to the FX Return on your amp.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

Thank you! I will be setting it all up on Monday, I'll let you know how it all went!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 pm 

OK, I finally was able to get the setup as you posted above to work! Thanks!!!! I had to re-tube my amplifier as I was getting a lot of "HUMMING" from the Effects Loop. New power tubes, problem solved.

Now for the next question.....

The way it is set up as posted above, my volume pedal works, but you can hear the effects continue after the volume pedal is rolled all the way down. How do I set it up in the chain so the volume pedal works instantly? When I had all the effects going through the front of the amp, the guitar volume knob kept the delay and reverb continuing as they died out and the volume pedal worked instantly, no lingering delay or effects.

Thanks again for all of your assistance!!!!!

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am 

Glad you found the source of the buzzing!

If you want it to kill all signal then all you would need to do is move the Volume Pedal down the chain to be the last thing before the Effects Return on your amp. Here are the changes...

1. FX Send from your amp to PX-8 Plus Input.
2. Insert Send of the PX-8 Plus to the Volume Pedal Input.
3. Volume Pedal Output to the FX Return on your amp.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm 

This is pretty close to the setup im looking into. I have a couple questions however.
1. Is there any particular reason you have the pre-amp fx (overdrives) in the last 2 loops and the post fx in the 1st 3?
2. Would it make a difference to run your guitar into the volume pedal before the ODs instead of after them and essentially in the front of your effects loop?

This is the alternative setup i was imagining.
1. Guitar -> volume pedal (tuner out of VP into tuner)
2. VP -> px-8 input
3. TS-9 and OD808 into px-8 loops 1 and 2
4. Px insert send -> amp input
5. Amp fx send -> Px insert return
6. Delay amd Reverb in Px loops 7 and 8
7. Px output -> amp fx return .

Edit. Now that i think about it, is the reason for putting the modulation fx in the 1st section of loops to give you space for more pedals. From what i can tell, the only way to route fx in front of the amp as well as in the amp fx loop is to use the insert fx loop on the px-8 which divides it into 2 separate section of 2 and 6 loops. It would be nice to be able to put the insert fx loop anywhere in the the signal chain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm 

jdarsenault30 wrote:
This is pretty close to the setup im looking into. I have a couple questions however.
1. Is there any particular reason you have the pre-amp fx (overdrives) in the last 2 loops and the post fx in the 1st 3?
2. Would it make a difference to run your guitar into the volume pedal before the ODs instead of after them and essentially in the front of your effects loop?

This is the alternative setup i was imagining.
1. Guitar -> volume pedal (tuner out of VP into tuner)
2. VP -> px-8 input
3. TS-9 and OD808 into px-8 loops 1 and 2
4. Px insert send -> amp input
5. Amp fx send -> Px insert return
6. Delay amd Reverb in Px loops 7 and 8
7. Px output -> amp fx return .

Edit. Now that i think about it, is the reason for putting the modulation fx in the 1st section of loops to give you space for more pedals. From what i can tell, the only way to route fx in front of the amp as well as in the amp fx loop is to use the insert fx loop on the px-8 which divides it into 2 separate section of 2 and 6 loops. It would be nice to be able to put the insert fx loop anywhere in the the signal chain.

You got it! The Insert is fixed between Loops 6 and 7, so for pima651's rig we simply routed Loops 7 and 8 to the front of the amp, Loops 1-6 (although he is only using three of them) to the amp's FX Loop.

Making the Insert be movable would be quite difficult and likely be a sacrifice to the overall signal path. In your rig, you can certainly run your two front end effects in Loops 1 and 2, then run your FX Loop effects in Loops 7 and 8, just as you've detailed... no problem! Will you be adding more pedals to this rig over time?

Also, you can patch your Volume Pedal in wherever you prefer. With it in front of the drive pedals it will act much like the volume knob on a guitar where it can be used to reduce the gain of the drive pedals as you start to roll the level down.
A Volume Pedal placed later in the chain will not change the gain of the drive pedals but will act more like a true volume level control useful for volume swells and such.

I hope that helps!