It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KemperProfiler and gcx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:42 am 

Hey..hoping someone can help! Just bought a KPApowerrack. I'd like to control it for live situations. I currently have a GCX using pedals and a Shiva. Anyway to keep those presets and add another unit(the Kemper)? Id hate to have to remove everything that Ive done. Looking to start gigging with the just the KPA and the ground control..a ton of shows coming!! Help..

Post subject: Re: KemperProfiler and gcx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:07 am 

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!!

What you want to do is not at all difficult. The first thing you'll need to do is a "bulk dump" of your GCPro settings. If you've never done this, please refer to Page 9 in your GCPro manual for directions. What this does is create and save a back-up copy of your current GCPro, GCX, Shiva, and pedals configuration, so whenever you want to use that rig you can upload that Sysex file to your GCPro and be good to go. Personally, I'd make a few copies of that file and store them in different locations. Better safe than sorry.

Step 2 - and do this ONLY AFTER you've backed up your SysEx file - is to re-initialize your GCPro by resetting it to original factory settings. You'll want to start fresh when programming it for use with your KPA. Trust me on this; it's always better to start with a clean slate than to try reprogramming an existing configuration.

Next, take a look at this thread, which will walk you through the rest and get you controlling your KPA with your GCPro in short order. Make IA button assignments to suit your preference, tweak as necessary, and you'll be good to go.

Last but not least, and actually extremely important, do another GCPro "bulk dump" to save your KPA settings. Now you'll have copies of both your Shiva sysex file and your KPA sysex file, so whichever rig you choose to use, just upload the corresponding sysex file to your GCPro and you'll be good to go.

Let us know how you make out...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:09 am 

Thanks!! Hoping I can do this...lol. sounds like a bit to do, I just need to focus..and please forgive me, I haven't used any midi stuff since the early 90s with my ADA and quadra verb..soooo, when you say save to upload, you me save in the unit(GCP)? And when I do, hopefully will not, have to bring back the old presets how do I do that? And, sorry another question. Since I do have a gcx couldnt I hook the KPA to that? Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:22 pm 

When I say save, I mean you'll be creating and saving a file on your computer that contains all your current GCPro settings. You will use this file to reload your Shiva settings. After you've configured your GCPro to control your KPA, you'll definitely want to do a Bulk Dump of that data as well. Then, depending on the rig you want to use, you just upload the proper sysex file.

Although this thread references the 11-Rack, you may find the step-by-step instructions for uploading a file informative, and there's always Page 9 in the manual. As stated in that thread, to do a Bulk Dump you'll need a computer with a MIDI Interface and a program for sending MIDI bulk dumps, such as SendSX, MIDI-OX, SysEX Librarian, etc. Personally, I used MIDI-OX when I used a GCPro.

Regarding your last question, and this is just my opinion, I see no advantage in connecting a KPA to a GCX, other than with a MIDI cable. There is nothing a GCX can do that cannot be done directly with a KPA, unless you're controlling a fair number of FX pedals positioned in front of your KPA in your signal chain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:46 pm 

Thanks so much. GCP works! I wound up not saving..my bad. I have pretty good knowledge of programming it with the GCX. Plus I left all of the labels on it so I know which effects went where. 1.delay2.Phase90 3.TCflanger and so forth. I figured thats where Id have my I/A's for the KPA too..so exactly how do I do that? One small thing I cant figure out though..for some reason when I save rigs, number 1 wnt save. Number 2 seems like the default number 1. Banks after that are fine, just the first set starts on 2. Thanks again..this is a great forum. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:08 am 

What do you mean Number 1 won't save..? Are you saying that you cannot assign MIDI PC Change #1 to a rig on your KPA, or you cannot save Preset 1 on your GCPro?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:42 am 

When I save a rig at 1 on the Kemper for some reason the GCP won't accept at preset 1. When I press 2 the rig will be there. Everything is one off. So when I bank up, what should be preset 5 is actually 4 on the Kemper. There's probably something I needed to do on the GCP. Thought I had done everyhthing. In the first bank on the GCP the 1 isn't functioning as it should. 2 is acting as 1. Make sense? Thanks a bunch. Seriously thought this would be easy enough, probably is for most..lol..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:14 am 

On the Ground Control Pro you will want to go into the Device Name/Channel section under Setup Mode. Select the device number you are using for the Kemper (you can type in a name here for the Kemper while you are at it), then press the Cursor Right button repeatedly until you get to the "starts at" screen. Set the "Starts At" number to 00 using the Data +/- buttons then exit Setup Mode by pressing either Setup button, then press Yes to exit.

After doing this, you may need to re-save your patches once more since it will likely shift everything over by 1.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:17 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:37 am 

Not trying to be snarky, but that very issue was covered in the thread I referenced in my first post.