It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GCP Freeze When Saving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:03 pm 

The psa1 is suppying power to the gcp. I tried 2 different midi cables and the same thi g happens. I didn't try doing any of this with a power supply and no midi cables hooked up. I can try that as well. Since i got it to work i just moved on from there but i will do my best to give it a shot just to see...this gear is actually packed up now since i am moving it back to the rehearsal space...ready to try the psa1/gcp in rehearsal :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 pm 

Well I found in the PSA-1.1 manual mention of power over MIDI, however there is no mention of how much current is available. I would be willing to bet that this is the issue here... that the MIDI Phantom Power is just not quite enough current for reliable operation. A Ground Control Pro will need at least 400mA.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm 

Just brought my gcp/sans amp psa 1 rig home and finally got back to trouble shooting the saving problem when powered via the midi cable. I did what you said,, unplugged the midi cable and powered the gcp with my pedal power 2 plus (w/the red end cable that came with it). When i saved my preset this time it immediately saved as it should. There must not be quite enough power in the psa1 to allow the gcp to save properly. They work together pretty good otherwise except for a volume jump when i switch between gain channels...this only happens occasionally, weird. I wonder if that also has something to do with the power. My question now is can i run the 5 pin midi cable from the psa1 to the gcp but also plug the gcp in to my pedal power at the same time? Basically 2 power sources...i don't want to just try it without knowing if it will hurt something. I do run a g major 1 in this rig and i had different volume settings within the g major but the jump was way louder than what each patch in the g major is set to. I actually just went through the g major and evened out the volumes and made 1 louder/solo channel in the psa1, hope that stops the volume jump.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:58 am 

Well at least that worked to show the Ground Control Pro is in fact capable of saving without freezing, however I would not use the Pedal Power this way since a single output also isn't quite enough current for the Ground Control Pro either. You could use a Current Doubler connected to both outputs 5 and 6 (with the corresponding DIP switches set to Normal) for the Ground Control Pro.

A MIDI cable with pins 1 and 3 cut out would prevent the PSA-1 phantom power circuit from hitting the Ground Control Pro, or you could simply move the PSA-1 further down in the MIDI path since I know your G-Major does not have these pins connected to anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:46 am 

I have bought the adapter for my pedal power, seems to be ok now. Thanks for the info. Just as an added bit of info tech 21 tells me the phantom power on the psa 1.1 is only 100ma. They said they have used the 5 pin midi cable along with the 9v gcp power adapter at the same time and had no problems.