GCX, GCP, and whammy dt

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Pacomgl

GCX, GCP, and whammy dt

Post by Pacomgl » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:35 am

Hello, new to the board and everything midi. I've gone years with a stompbox surfboard and over the last year have been purchasing and planning my switch to audio switching and midi.
I recently purchased a DMC GCX and VL GCP. I'm working on buying the cables needed to get everything up and running and have been confused about hooking up my whammy dt.
I planned on it being on the pedalboard with the GCP and a few other pedals, it is the only midi capable device I have, other than the GCX and GCP. I know the "pedal in" from the GCX goes to the "midi out" of the GCP, I'm just not sure where I plug my "midi in" from the Whammy. I have the normal 1/4" in and out jacks through my floor pedal chain, which is looped to the front of the GCX guitar in and feed thru, yet I'm confused if I need to run that "midi in" from the Whammy to the GCX's "midi out" or the GCP's "midi in"
It sounds pretty self explanatory but with all the flexibility with the guitar in/out and feed thru's on the GCX, I wanted to get clarification. It would be much cheaper if I can plug it into my GCP.
I'm planning on getting a pedalsnake to run from my rack to the pedalboard, and this will determine how many midi lines I'll need.
Sorry for being long winded, I couldn't find a post that directly related to what I'm asking so I felt the need to explain myself.
/Pilot the Mind on YouTube, Reverbnation and Facebook

JohnClark

Re: GCX, GCP, and whammy dt

Post by JohnClark » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:48 am

This one gets a little silly since the Whammy has no MIDI Out or Thru. You basically have two options...

A. Run two long MIDI Cables.
1. Ground Control Pro MIDI Out -> GCX Pedal In.
2. GCX MIDI Out -> Whammy MIDI In.

B. Use a MIDI splitter like the MIDI Solutions Thru
1. Ground Control Pro MIDI Out -> Splitter MIDI In
2. Splitter MIDI Out/Thru #1 -> GCX
3. Splitter MIDI Out/Thru #2 -> Whammy

Option A will still have the GCX provide phantom power to the Ground Control Pro, but has the two long cable runs.
Option B will be a little have only the one long MIDI cable, but will require powering the Ground Control Pro (I assume you have some sort of power on the board already since you need it for the Whammy)

Good Luck!

Pacomgl

Re: GCX, GCP, and whammy dt

Post by Pacomgl » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:49 am

Thank you for clearing that up.
I was a little disheartened when I learned, by reading this forum, that I cannot control the whammy pedal function with an expression on the floor board, which led to me to figuring out how to cable it up.
Well, at least I know what I gotta do now, I can't wait to use this thing live.
/Pilot the Mind on YouTube, Reverbnation and Facebook