It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedal switcher looping
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:04 am 

So
Can I have one of the 4 channels going to/from my efx loop
and the rest going to the amp front end somehow ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pedal switcher looping
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:26 am 

The short answer is no.

The Pedal Switcher only has one signal chain consisting of the Input jack, four audio loops (in series with individual Send/Return jacks), and then the Output jack. There is no way to isolate any of the loops from the others to run independently in your amp's FX Loop.

On the other hand, a GCX can do that quite nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 am 

You can use the Insert jack to break the signal between Loops 3 and 4. Loops 1-3 can be routed to the front of the amp and Loop 4 can be routed to the amp's effects loop. You would need an Insert Cable that has a single Stereo end and breaks out to two mono ends.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:51 am 

Am I confused, John?

According to the Pedal Switcher Owner's Manual, all 4 loops are hard-wired together in series, and the way I understand that is each loop will feed its signal to the next loop in line with Loop 4 feeding the Output jack.

The Insert jack does allow one to insert an addition effect between Loops 3 and 4, but again, it is hard-wired between Loops 3 and 4 so inserting another effect in there adds to the signal being fed to Loop 4, and then to the amp.

That being said, I don't understand how putting anything in the Insert jack will allow one to redirect Loop 4 to an amplifier's FX loop while Loops 1, 2, and 3 feed the amp's Input. Can you elaborate on that please?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:29 am 

No problemo!

First off, I will admit that looking back to the manual the Insert diagram isn't exactly clear. :oops:

The Insert example in the Pedal Switcher manual shows a volume pedal being used. The audio path there is Chorus -> Volume Pedal -> Delay. There is no mixing or parallel routing going on, just a straight series path.

The Insert is set up like an Insert Point found on a mixing board. Here the Tip is the Out of Loop 3 and the Ring In of Loop 4. With nothing plugged into the Insert, Loop 3 feeds directly into Loop 4. But once something is plugged into the Insert the series path from Loop 3 to Loop 4 is broken. Anything put into the Insert is then in series between Loop3 and Loop 4.

Here is a diagram of what is going on inside...

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 am 

I apologize again for being so dense, John, but I still don't get how this will do what the OP wants to accomplish:

stratcat33511 wrote:
Can I have one of the 4 channels going to/from my efx loop
and the rest going to the amp front end somehow?

Now I do understand how the Insert jack works, and as you just said, "Anything put into the Insert is then in series between Loop3 and Loop 4." That means the output signal of whatever is connected to the Insert jack will feed Loop 4, the output of which feeds the Pedal Switcher Out jack which, in turn, feeds the amplifier's Guitar Input. That's all well and good if you want to add a fifth effect to the signal chain going to the amp's Guitar In, but the OP wants to use a loop with his amp's FX loop and I don't see how, with this entire signal chain being in series, to cut one loop out of the herd, so to speak, and route it elsewhere.

I also don't see how one can connect an amp's FX loop to the Insert jack, because both the amp's FX Send and the Send plug on the end of the insert cable would have to share the additional effect's Input jack, and by that same token, both the Return plug and FX Return would have to share the effect's Output signal. Even if there is a work-around for that, as per your quote above, would one not be feeding the Preamp signal coming out of the amp's FX Send jack through the Pedal Switcher and back to the amp's guitar Input?

Again, I sincerely apologize if I am missing something here, but I still don't see how the Pedal Switcher is capable of doing what the OP wants it to do.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:27 am 

Hello Gents...I just wanted to expand on John's drawing/ explanation... using an insert cable you will be able to break out the insert jack.

The Preamp becomes a "pedal' between pedal #3 and pedal #4...

A picture is worth a thousand words...

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

http://www.dirtyhurricane.com
http://www.stagecue.com

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:32 am 

And the crowd goes wild!! :D

Thanks so much for that diagram, Joe. It brought everything into focus for me, and hopefully for the OP, too, since it shows exactly the connections he'll need to make.

My apologies to the OP for the bad info I gave him and to John for simply not getting it, and my thanks to Joe for providing the enlightenment.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:29 am 

a2dconverter takes the assist straight to the net! GOAL!

nyteowl, no worries man! It wasn't you being dense as much as it was me not really directly answering the actual question.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:12 pm 

THIS DID IT
THANKS A MIILION
YES I'M SHOUTING
WooHooo

Rock on, you dirty hurricane, you !
Thanks

a2dconverter wrote:
Hello Gents...I just wanted to expand on John's drawing/ explanation... using an insert cable you will be able to break out the insert jack.

The Preamp becomes a "pedal' between pedal #3 and pedal #4...

A picture is worth a thousand words...

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe