It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground Control Pro 9V Plug
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

I am using a Rocktron 5-7pin midi cable to send power to a Ground Control Pro. Is there a way use the (now empty) 9V INPUT as a 9v OUTPUT to power other standalone 9V pedals on the pedal board by "daisy chaining"?

-Tim

Post subject: Re: Ground Control Pro 9V Plug
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 am 

TimTim wrote:
I am using a Rocktron 5-7pin midi cable to send power to a Ground Control Pro. Is there a way use the (now empty) 9V INPUT as a 9v OUTPUT to power other standalone 9V pedals on the pedal board by "daisy chaining"?

-Tim
Interesting question. I suspect the 9-V Input and the MIDI pins supplying power to the GCPro are connected internally, so it should work in theory. However, I honestly cannot say for sure, so I'll defer to John Clark for the definitive answer. In the event they are, however, the 9-volt number isn't as important as the current draw of the pedals in question.

When daisy chaining multiple pedals, the power supply involved usually delivers 800ma-1000ma of current. What one needs to do is total up the individual current requirements of each pedal to ensure the power supply being used can deliver what's needed, so you would have to make sure whatever is supplying power to your GCPro can provide enough current for the additional pedals.

Here's a web page from Beavis Audio Research with a lot of good info on powering pedals.

Hope this helps...

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, just sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find it helpful, pay it forward; if not, sorry I wasn't able to assist you. Looking for some new gear? Please visit my shop on Reverb.com.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:38 am 

The Beavis Audio Page is great stuff, thanks! Im looking to power a TS9 off the 9V plug on the ground control. According to the Beavis Page the TS9 will need about 6ma of current. So if the 9V plug on the ground control is "hot", then maybe I could just test the current on it and if there is more than 6ma available, I could power the TS9?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 pm 

TimTim wrote:
The Beavis Audio Page is great stuff, thanks! Im looking to power a TS9 off the 9V plug on the ground control. According to the Beavis Page the TS9 will need about 6ma of current. So if the 9V plug on the ground control is "hot", then maybe I could just test the current on it and if there is more than 6ma available, I could power the TS9?
Seems to me that would work, but as mentioned previously, I'm not 100% sure...

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, just sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find it helpful, pay it forward; if not, sorry I wasn't able to assist you. Looking for some new gear? Please visit my shop on Reverb.com.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:27 pm 

Sorry to be late to the party... and to have the bad news... but without heavy modification, this won't work...

The Power jack and the Phantom Power pins on the Ground Control Pro are not in fact connected together. Also, the power supply that comes with the Ground Control Pro supplies 9VAC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm 

John Clark,
Thats great info! I was about to take the plunge on a multimeter, rectifier, etc in order to convert the 9VAC power to 9VDC and power my tuner and ts9. Letting me know that the phantom power and 9VAC input are not connected really saved me from a long twisted path of disappointment lol. I know my situation seems pretty specific but the only ready-made power supply that provides both 9AC and 9DC is made by CAE. Aside from the presumably low demand, are there any technical/engineering reasons why there are not more options? More specifically, a single voodoo lab power supply for both the GCPro and 9VDC pedals? If nothing else, its a great reason I could talk myself into a GCX!

Best,
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm 

Sorry to not go for the big picture in the first place, but you may be interested top know that the Ground Control Pro will accept AC or DC power. If you are in fact thinking of running a separate power supply for anything out on the floor an isolated power supply would be worlds better than trying to cheat off the power that is going to the Ground Control Pro anyway.
...but don't let me stop you from getting a GCX! ;)