GCX Powering on Issue

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Plexz

GCX Powering on Issue

Post by Plexz » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:43 pm

Hello,

My GCX powers up and powers the GCP just fine.

The LED's on the GCX do not scroll from one side to the other, the relays do not chatter and the GCP does not flash the "Active" LED when a button is pressed.

I opened it up and the 5v is fine and measured 14v on the boards with the relays . The capacitors are not bulging or leaking and there no signs of overheated parts...etc

NOTE; It has Firmware 2.00

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PPhil

Plexz

Re: GCX Powering on Issue

Post by Plexz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 am

Update: Hopefully this may help some of you too.

I left the GCX and the GCP powered on and noticed that the GCP display was dimming slightly. That is a clue something to do with the power from the GCX. Replaced the cable the GCP and the problem persisted.

Pulled the power supply board and checked the connectors. No issue cracks, colder joints..ec.

Measured and found some of those old caps out of tolerance and replaced all of them. The power to the relay boards now is a little over 12v and not 14v+.

Unplugged the power cables to the relay boards and to the login board. The LED's all lit up. Plugged in the power to relay boards but not the logic board (MIDI board with the firmware chip on it) and LEDS's are still lit up. I plugged the cables from the upper and lower relay boards in one at a time back into the logic board and the LED's all stayed it.

Powered down and up a few times. Back to original problem but now I know it's the logic board.

Finally pulled the logic board, and both of the 10uf caps on the logic board tested bad. Replaced those and back to normal once again.

In short, it's common for older gear that was used often and then parked for extended periods of time to need the capacitors replaced. The GCX makes it very easy to this type of repair.

Plexz