GCP with Eleven Rack question.

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Fumbles

GCP with Eleven Rack question.

Post by Fumbles » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi all.....quick question-with a long explanation.

Setting up 11R with the Voodoo Labs GCP for the first time.....to use live for the first time....power amp/speakers etc. First rehearsal with it is later today. GCP is Version 1.3.1.

I have it set to 4 patches and 8 Instant as far as the switches. I have my 4 amp patches on the bottom row in Bank 01 etc and I am using Instant switches 1-8 for turning on and off the various effects.

I started setting it as such......

1=Overdrive
2=Roto Speaker
3=Delay
4=Compressor

So far, this has worked flawlessly.

However.....when I go to switch #5 to set what I want there.....the BS begins.

I want to place the Orange Phaser on switch 5.

I get into Edit Mode > Instant > cursor to 05 > Data up to #50 if the device is in MOD or #63 if in FX1 or #86 if in FX2 (as per the 11R manual)

Then I hit Edit...Exit Yes/No? and hit Yes.

Now.......nothing happens to the phaser when I activate switch 5.....AND.......now switch 1 has no effect on the overdrive either. Switches 2-4 still work as previously programmed just fine.....ONLY switch 1 is affected. I have to re-program switch 1 to #25 to get the OD working as before. Then 1-4 work okay as before. I tried using a device on switch 6 as well.....same thing....kills the functionality of my overdrive switch 1.

To me it seems as soon as I add a device to switch 5 through 8......it kills the OD on 1.

Since I was able to program 1-4 okay initially, I suspect I am missing something simple or doing something stupid when it comes to 5-8.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

BTW.......I bought this GCP used from a private party-and I have no experience with them. I have no idea what he did when he set his up or if he sold it because he was also having issues. Naturally he told me it worked perfectly and I got a good vibe off him. He is a pro guitarist and has albums etc and I'm sure he would not try dupe me. No serious....he seemed cool.

JohnClark

Re: GCP with Eleven Rack question.

Post by JohnClark » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:46 pm

That is incredibly odd behavior for a Ground Control Pro!

When Instant Access button #1 stops working, you say re-programming it fixes it, but is the data displayed on the screen for Instant access button #1 changing when it breaks? Basically, if you have it set to read "1. CH 01 CTL 25" does it still say that when it stops working?

Did you do a memory reset when you first started out with this Ground Control Pro or did it still have the previous users data in it?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi John. Thanks so much for the reply.....I'm so sorry I have not got back to you sooner. I work in network television production.....and it's been kinda nuts!

Here's what I found. I first verified that buttons 1-4 were working properly and they were.

Went into Instant, set it to CH 05 CTL 086. (for the Orange Phaser I have selected in FX2.)

Exited, stepped on button 5 and it did NOT turn on or affect the Phaser.

And as before.....CH01 CTL 025 was gone from CH1 and in place of it was CTL 86. It read just that CH 01 CTL 086. I was/am so tired that I totally spaced on seeing if CH 01 was turning anything on or off.

I did do a reset.......off what I read in your thread about it. It did something, because where there was a previous name for the patch on 01....something like Liquid........now it reads 01 INIT

I hope that helps.

There is another issue. When I fire up the system...... the CH 03 button is always in the on position. The effect on that channel is NOT on. I have to step on the button twice to get out of that...and then it works like it should.......until you shut her all down. I made sure I was saving the rig with the effect on CH03...... in the Off position. No difference. Unplug the rig and then power back up....the channel three ON light will be lit, but the effect is not in play.

Thanks again.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:35 pm

I think maybe we are getting crossed up here on some terminology... The "CH01" indicates the MIDI Channel the currently selected button will use to send MIDI data, NOT the button number. All your Instant Access buttons will likely be on "CH01" since you have only the one MIDI Device. If you later added another MIDI Device and wanted to assign an Instant Access button to control something on it, you would likely use MIDI Channel 2 so only that device would respond to messages sent on that MIDI Channel.

When you are editing Control Change messages on Instant Access buttons there are three pieces of information on the screen, the Button Number, the MIDI Channel, and Control Change message. The first digit all the way to the left of the screen indicates the button number you are editing, "CH" is the MIDI Channel, and "CTL" is the Control Change number, so...
"1. CH01 CTL025" is saying Instant Access button 1 is set to MIDI Channel 1 and will use Control Change 25.
"5. CH01 CTL086" is saying Instant Access button 5 is set to MIDI Channel 1 and will use Control Change 86.
I think maybe you are only editing the MIDI Channel on Button 1 rather than changing to a new button and that is why you see this behavior.

Here is a brief review of the steps to edit Instant Access buttons from power up...

1. Enter Setup Mode by pressing both SETUP Buttons at the same time.
2. Press the button labeled "INSTANT ACCESS".
3. The screen will read something like "1. GCX-1 LOOP 1" (this is the default if you've reset the memory) or "1. CH01 CTL000". You can edit this button using the Data +/- Buttons and the Cursor Left Right Buttons.
You want this screen to read "1. CH01 CTL025"
4. Press the SELECT DOWN Button repeatedly and you will see the first digit change. Stop pressing when the first digit gets to "5".
5. The screen will now read something like "5. GCX-1 LOOP 5" (this is the default if you've reset the memory) or "5. CH01 CTL000". You can edit this button using the Data +/- Buttons and the Cursor Left Right Buttons.
You want this screen to read "5. CH01 CTL086".

At each Instant Access button screen that you have edited to be on MIDI Channel 1 and assigned a Control Change number, you may also want to be sure to press the Cursor Right button repeatedly to get to the next setting screen. This screen sets the button behavior between "Normal", "Momentary", or "X-Mit w/Preset"... you will want all your Instant access buttons used to control Eleven Rack effects to be set to Normal.

Another thing I suspect here is that your Eleven Rack is set to OMNI Mode. This means that it responds to MIDI messages on all 16 MIDI Channels. I would suggest that you set the Eleven Rack MIDI Receive Channel to use only MIDI Channel 1. This will make things go much more smoothly if you later add any other MIDI devices.

As for the Instant Access button that is coming up with the LED ON... it is likely just programmed to do so. Once you have your Instant Access buttons controlling the correct parameters you will actually need to program the appropriate LED state for each Instant Access button on every preset.
Here are the steps to do that...
1. Call up the Ground Control Pro preset you want to edit.
2. Press any of the Instant Access buttons that should have the LED ON for this preset.
3. Press and hold the Edit button and release it once the screen changes.
4. Press the Edit button then the Yes button to save the state of the Instant Access LEDs with the preset.

Let us know if you get stuck!

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm

John.....thank you so very much. I'm again sorry to be tardy getting back, just been incredibly busy.

That did the trick and I'm all good to go as far as assigning the switches to effects and getting that one button light to not come on until I step on it. Thanks again.

Can I use 3 expression pedals total.......2 in the GCP and 1 in the 11R?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Glad to hear it worked!

Three Expression pedals!? How many feet do you have? ;)

I've never tried to run one directly to the Eleven Rack but I suppose it should work to run all three.