Struggling to activate loops

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Hennum82

Struggling to activate loops

Post by Hennum82 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi.
I recently bought a Mark L Custom LS12 looper because it had the number of loops I needed for my board. And to control it I bought a Ground Control Pro. So far, so good. But, I’m struggling with some of the loops not activating the way they should, even though other loops work just fine. What happens is that for loops 5-7 on the MLC, the indicator light just flashes when I hit a preset. So let’s say I have stored preset 1 to be loop 1-3-5, loops 1 and 3 activates and the light indicates them being turned on and number 5 flashes quickly and doesn’t activate. I find it really strange since the other loops respond just fine. I can turn on loops 5-7 using CC, so I know they communicate just fine. Which makes it even stranger.

Any idea what this could be? Some sort of setup I need to look at?

Thanks in advance.

/Lasse

JohnClark

Re: Struggling to activate loops

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:28 pm

There are a few possibilities here...

1. I wasn't able to quickly get a manual for the LS10 so I'm not sure if it does this, but make sure that these loops are not programmed to act in a momentary mode.

2. Make sure you are not sending conflicting MIDI data. If you are using both Program Change and Control Change, it is possible to program the LS10 to turn on loops when receiving a Program Change, but maybe the Ground Control Pro preset sending this Program Change is also programmed to send Control Change messages that turn the loops off. Are any Ground Control Pro Instant Access buttons programmed to control Loop 5-7 on the LS10? If so, check that they are set to "NORMAL", particularly if you are primarily using Program Change messages to control the LS10.

Do you know what MIDI Channel and exactly what Control Change numbers the LS10 Loops are set to respond to?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Hennum82

Post by Hennum82 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:37 am

You were absolutely right! There were some conflicting midi data because I had changed the switches from normal to XMIT W/ preset.
But now I have a follow up question.

How do I get the instant access to light up and indicate which effect is on when I hit a preset?
I thought that was the idea behind XMIT W/ PRESET?

Thanks a lot so far!

/Lasse

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm

XMIT W/Preset actually sends the Control Change Data when a preset is selected, this is used when your device only is controlled via Control Changes. You need only to match the LED State, and don't necessarily need to send the Control Change data so you don't want this turned on.

In order to make your Instant Access button LEDs match the state of the effects they are set to control you will need to edit your preset to store the LED state. Here are the steps...
1. Call up the Ground Control Pro preset you want to edit.
2. Press any of the Instant Access buttons that should be active for this preset.
3. Press and hold the Edit button then release it once the screen changes.
4. Press the Edit button then the Yes button to save the state of the Instant Access LEDs with the preset.
Repeat for each preset.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------