Wiring Diagram for 2 GCX > 1 GCP

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
atk1

Wiring Diagram for 2 GCX > 1 GCP

Post by atk1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:52 pm

Anyone have a wiring diagram for 2 GCX > 1 GCP. Single amp. 16 loops.

nyteowl

Re: Wiring Diagram for 2 GCX > 1 GCP

Post by nyteowl » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:15 am

If you look on the GCX product page, there are a number of different wiring diagrams, with Numbers 7 & 8 referencing a 2 GCX + 1 GCPro configuration.

Of course, since everyone's rig is different, these would just be a starting point. You'll need to adapt to suit your own particular situation.

Hope this helps...

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

atk1

Post by atk1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:15 am

Actually, it doesn't. Doesn't ANYONE have a diagram?

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 am

Thinking back to when I got my first GCX I can certainly appreciate your frustration, but those wiring diagrams DO illustrate how to connect 2 GCX units to a single GCPro, which is what you asked for but, unfortunately, will not allow you to, as you said in your first post "...have my pedals in a rack and turn them on/off via the GCP."

After reviewing your first post, I am sorry to say there is no way for you to configure a single Ground Control Pro and 2 GCX units so you can access all 16 of your FX loops individually by simply pressing an IA button on your GCPro to activate/deactivate a particular effect. After all, there are simply not enough GCPro IA buttons to do that. However...

The only way I know of to accomplish what you want to do is to replace your GCPro with a different MIDI Controller, and I strongly recommend you consider purchasing a used Fractal Audio MFC-101, which can be found on Reverb.com or eBay. They're more expensive than a GCPro, but they are far, far more versatile, making them well worth the investment, and at nearly 100 pages the Fractal's MFC-101 Owner's Manual offers set-up guidance that is far more detailed than the GCPro manual. Check out Page 17, and you'll see how simple set up could be.

No, I do not work for any of the companies referenced above. I'm just a guy who has already been where you are now and learned the hard way. Sorry I can't be of more help, but a Ground Control Pro simply cannot do what you want to do with it.

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am

Sorry for the delay here...

I don't have a diagram, but I can make one. However, there are some questions on this setup. Will all 16 pedals be routed to the front of the amp or will some be in the amp's effects loop?

If it's just going to be all 16 loops in series in front of the amp then you can use page 1 of the above linked drawing for connecting all the pedals with the change being at the OUT of Loop 8 on GCX #1 you would run a cable to the IN of Loop 1 on GCX #2. The OUT of Loop 8 from the GCX #2 would connect to the Instrument Input of your amp.

About the Ground Control Pro, it certainly can control all the pedals in up to four GCX switchers by going into Preset Edit Mode and selecting the GCX you want to control.
1. Recall any Ground Control Pro preset.
2. Press the Select Down Button repeatedly until you see the "GCX-1" screen.
3. At this screen the upper two rows of buttons control Loops 1-8 of the first GCX.
4. Press the Select Down Button and the screen will read "GCX-2".
5. At this screen the upper two rows of buttons control Loops 1-8 of the second GCX.

This is normally used as the method for creating presets, but there is no reason it cannot be used to just jam with your pedals. ;)

I hope that helps!

atk1

Post by atk1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks everybody! This board is a great resource!