Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
primeholy

Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Post by primeholy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I was wondering if the control switcher would fit my needs. I have a Line6 Helix LT and want to do channel switching (3 channels) and the solo function of the amp with my Helix. I was wondering if the control switcher would fit the bill, and what all I would need to make it work.

Marlboro05

Re: Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Hey there,
What amp are you going to be running so that we can help you with what type of cables or custom multi pin/midi type cable you may need.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Marlboro05 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm
Hey there,
What amp are you going to be running so that we can help you with what type of cables or custom multi pin/midi type cable you may need.

Cheers Brett
Thanks!
I’m using a Mesa Boogie Mark V 90 watt head.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:59 am

I don't see why a Control Switcher wouldn't work for this application, and looking at the Mark V's Back Panel, I think your best option would be to use four (4) Mono (TS) cables to connect the Control Switcher to the Mesa's four (4) External Switching jacks.

For a neater appearance you could either make a custom cable with a 5-pin DIN connector on the Control Switcher end that breaks out to 4 TS plugs on the Mesa End, or have the folks at Voodoo Lab make one for you.

You might also try connecting a 5-pin MIDI cable between the Control Switcher's MULTI Connector and the Mesa's Foot Switch connector, but I don't know how well that will work because the Mesa has a 7-pin connector. Pins 1 thru 5 are the same on both, but it all depends on how Pins 6 and 7 are used on the Mesa. Might be worth experimenting with, though, `cuz if it works you'd only need to use a single cable.

Hope this helps...

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks nyteowl. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIS8ccqvAkw and it led me to believe I could use two trs to dual ts cables. Thats, what I ordered, but if I need to use different cables, no biggie. Its at around 30 seconds in where they are hooking up cables. Now that I think about it, im probably wrong, cause the device he was using is setup as two remote switches per jack.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm

So, i should use ts cables? I was thinking trs, but I dont know anything about this stuff.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:44 am

primeholy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm

So, i should use ts cables? I was thinking trs, but I dont know anything about this stuff.
Actually, you sussed this out correctly.

There is no point in you using TRS/stereo cables because all the jacks you'll be connecting to are TS/mono jacks.

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.